leaky sight glass

This forum is dedicated to those hobbyists with the 3-in-1 metalworking machines. Mill-Drill-Lathes. Tips, techniques, modification and use of these machines is topical.

Moderator: Harold_V

niedz

leaky sight glass

Post by niedz »

the sight glass on my V10P leaks!
when i fill the headstock so the oil is visible halfway into the glass, it slowly leaks out to just below the glass.
this bothers me!

are there any recommendations on how to seal this up?
should i try to pop out the sight glass then apply some sort of sealant and pop it back in? or should i just try to run a bead of some sealant around the glass without removing it?

im a little nervous about trying to remove it, the last thing i want is a busted window and new random chip intake hole!
MikeA

Post by MikeA »

Hello Niedz,

I'm a very new owner of a V10P (4 days and counting!) and am just getting familiar with it, so any suggestions I have are totally unqualified.

One thing I do know, unless you put the sealant on clean, oil-free surfaces it will not provide a good seal. It might slow the leakage but not eliminate it.

From the exploded parts diagram I have it appears (make sure you note 'appears') the sight glass may be a friction fit with an o-ring seal. Again, it 'appears' it should be removed from the inside of the gear box.

I think I'd try popping it out, and if catastrophe strikes, I doubt it would be a big deal to make a replacement out of plexiglass rod with a couple of o-rings to act as seals, aided by a generous dose of sealant.

I'd like to hear how you make out whatever you do as I will likely be doing the same on mine.

Best,
Mike
Better is the enemy of good enough!
MikeA

Post by MikeA »

Hello Niedz,

Just a quick follow-up, found this on another forum

http://www.jwwinco.com/products/section ... 5QodnV5BRQ

It's a listing for a company making sight glasses - bet you can find what you're looking for.

Best,
Mike
Better is the enemy of good enough!
Jose Rivera

Post by Jose Rivera »

The sight glass I think that is supposed to show half-ways, at least I keep mine there.

You said "leaks", where does the leak ends up?
There are no problems, only solutions.
--------------
Retired journeyman machinist and 3D CAD mechanical designer - hobbyist - grandpa
niedz

Post by niedz »

it runs straight down and pools on the table pretty much right below the sight glass.
dly31

Post by dly31 »

It might not apply or help at all but sometimes oil leaks are caused by lack of or stopped-up vents. Gearboxes, etc., will build up pressure as they warm up unless there is some kind of vent. Just something to consider.

Don Young
niedz

Post by niedz »

dly31 wrote:It might not apply or help at all but sometimes oil leaks are caused by lack of or stopped-up vents. Gearboxes, etc., will build up pressure as they warm up unless there is some kind of vent. Just something to consider.

Don Young
thanks for the input, but i think that is not the problem considering it pools overnight when the machine is cool.
Jose Rivera

Post by Jose Rivera »

One thing that I was warned by a old Maximat salesman in Germany named Otto Wolf was to make sure that the spindle gear box cover must have the visible slot it leaves when in place facing to the back and not the front.

This may not be your problem but I though I mention it to you.
--------------
Retired journeyman machinist and 3D CAD mechanical designer - hobbyist - grandpa
niedz

Post by niedz »

i seemed to have fixed it.
i got an o-ring from the local hardware store, and managed to get the bottom half of the o-ring to wedge between the headstock hole and the sight glass. seems to have stopped the leak!
maybe at some point i will get a new sight window but for now this keeps the oil off my bench!
Jose Rivera

Post by Jose Rivera »

niedz wrote:i seemed to have fixed it.
i got an o-ring from the local hardware store, and managed to get the bottom half of the o-ring to wedge between the headstock hole and the sight glass. seems to have stopped the leak!
maybe at some point i will get a new sight window but for now this keeps the oil off my bench!
You will have to make one.
I doubt very much that you can find one new.

If you do, make it out of clear polycarbonate (Lexan). Acrylic will crack very easily, even months later after finished, it could crack.
--------------
niedz

Post by niedz »

i didnt mean replace the sight window with an original emco part, we all know those are non-existant! (although i bet there is a warehaus in austria filled with emco parts)

i figure i can find something that will work from here:

http://www.jwwinco.com/products/section ... 5QodnV5BRQ