Quick change tool post

This forum is dedicated to those hobbyists with the 3-in-1 metalworking machines. Mill-Drill-Lathes. Tips, techniques, modification and use of these machines is topical.

Moderator: Harold_V

SingleStacker45

Post by SingleStacker45 »

Jose Rivera wrote:Works better with a QC holder.
You got the idea.

Care must be taken when using a carbide cutter. To much pressure and it will chip-off the point.

Been doing that for some 35 years. Seldom use the tail-stock center but I do some times.

I think that best way to get dead center is to take a cut on the face of a bar until there is no dimple at all left.
Yes I broke my first carbide cutter on day one on some aluminum. I had the tool in the holder with no shims. When somebody told me what I was doing I felt silly. Thanks for your tips. It's nice to find someone who is willing to share their experience.

John "Mule" Mueller
Falcon67

Post by Falcon67 »

SingleStacker45 wrote:http://littlemachineshop.com/products/p ... &category=

I like the looks of this. Any thoughts?

Mule
A first class QCTP. Not knowing how your tool post / compound slide goes together you might call LMS and ask about the AXA vs BXA. For example, the AXA is used on 10-12" swing lathes. I use one on my 9x20. The only issue is that if I try to use a 1/2" tool bit, the holders will not slide down far enough to center the tool. 3/8 and under is AOK. I don't use 1/2" tools so it's not a problem here. The BXA might work fine on yours, or you might have to mill some off the compound, or the AXA might be the right size - hard to tell. Either way, most require a bit of engineering to install but well worth the effort.
Chris -
http://raceabilene.com/kelly/hotrod
"Check all parts for proper condition before operation; if normal safety precautions are noticed carefully, this machine can provide you withstanding of accurate service."
SingleStacker45

Looks like my tool holder is accepting 5/8 max tool size but most I use are 3/8 or smaller. Looks like the AXA or BXA might work. The center measures 2.340" over the compound and about 8 3/8" over the bed. The description of my lathe says 16 1/2 swing over bed so is that measurement is doubling the height of the center over bed?

Thanks,

Mule
Falcon67

Post by Falcon67 »

Might be a double - If I get a chance tonight, I'll measure the height of my tool post and post that info for you so you can make some imprecise guesstimations.

CDCO's part number 29462 lists as 10-15" swing. They list it as a "BXA" - except the CDCO unit is a piston type compared to the LMS unit which is a wedge. Wedge is usually considered to be a better toll post.

PS - I ordered some tool holders and misc from CDCO on Tuesday and they got here today. Frank sent them right out and UPS ground delivered in two days. What's up with that??
Chris -
http://raceabilene.com/kelly/hotrod
"Check all parts for proper condition before operation; if normal safety precautions are noticed carefully, this machine can provide you withstanding of accurate service."
SingleStacker45

AXA

OK I got the AXA and it tok a bit of work to fit it but I'm loving it.

I had to drill and tap the shaft to take a smaller bolt and T nut. Then I had to counter bore the riser since my threaded rod was a bit short.

The stock riser is a bit tall but still allows for adjustment. I may make a new riser if I get some bigger tools. Thank you guys for your help and suggestions. I especially like Jose's use of a scale for adjusting tool height. I have impressed several people with this.

Mule