Grizzly arrival

This forum is dedicated to those hobbyists with the 3-in-1 metalworking machines. Mill-Drill-Lathes. Tips, techniques, modification and use of these machines is topical.

Moderator: Harold_V

Morph

Grizzly arrival

Post by Morph »

My Grizzly 0492 arrived. I had two of my workers help me unload it (and an aerial lift). Once we got it lifted to the front of the connex we had to lower it onto a cherry picker I had bought years ago to pull engines. We then rolled it back to the area to be set up. It was time for the guys to go home so from then on I was by myself. You know 1300 lb's sure seems more like 13000 lb's when struggling alone. I put the table together and lifted the lathe up with the engine hoist. That was nerve wracking. Once I got it high enough to put it on the table, the legs of the hoist prevented it from hanging over the table. What to do........
I then swung the lathe around 90 degrees, repositioned the table and was able to get 85% of it over the table. I let it down very slowly then used a crow bar to scoot it the rest of the way before lowering completely. That was enough for the day.
Bill
Jose Rivera

Post by Jose Rivera »

Pictures would be a plus if you can.
There are no problems, only solutions.
--------------
Retired journeyman machinist and 3D CAD mechanical designer - hobbyist - grandpa
Morph

Grizzly arrival

Post by Morph »

I had planned on taking pictures of the whole episode but got so caught up in the excitement that I forgot. I will post a picture of it set up, next time I go out there.
Bill
joe50

G0492

Post by joe50 »

I have had mine since the first of the year and have already busted it. One of the main driving gears is made of nylon, yup, I said nylon. Grizzly says that they no longer make the nylon gear as a replacement. The new one is made of steel, hmmm, makes you wonder. The new one won't be available until march, ouch. It still works but I am afraid to push it. If I were you I would order a replacement gear whether you needed it right now or not, at some point you will need it.