My New Lathe Pics

This forum is dedicated to those hobbyists with the 3-in-1 metalworking machines. Mill-Drill-Lathes. Tips, techniques, modification and use of these machines is topical.

Moderator: Harold_V

Morph

My New Lathe Pics

Post by Morph »

Jose,
here is a some pics of my new lathe. The one shows the engine hoist still attatched, I still had to line up the bolt holes on the table with the lathe and stand. I tried to level it but the floor is partially wood and part metal and a pain in the butt. I may end up getting a thick sheet of metal ( at least 1/2'' thick) a little larger than the footprint of the lathe and put it under it.
Attachments
Here is a pic of the solar panels. If its summer I can use the lights for about eight hours a day. I have three tandem eight foot, four lamp f32/t8 flourescent fixtures. Cant wait to run some real power out here.
Here is a pic of the solar panels. If its summer I can use the lights for about eight hours a day. I have three tandem eight foot, four lamp f32/t8 flourescent fixtures. Cant wait to run some real power out here.
I have yet to get power run to this connex. I am now operating on three 25 watt dc solar panels to a controller to some deep cycle batteries, then a 2200 watt inverter to my flourescent lights via a switch.
I have yet to get power run to this connex. I am now operating on three 25 watt dc solar panels to a controller to some deep cycle batteries, then a 2200 watt inverter to my flourescent lights via a switch.
Here is a pic of my reason for getting a combo unit, lack of space. Most of this connex is used for storage of electrical parts and tools. I am an electrical contractor and need the space to operate.
Here is a pic of my reason for getting a combo unit, lack of space. Most of this connex is used for storage of electrical parts and tools. I am an electrical contractor and need the space to operate.
Got all the bolt holes lined up. Removed engine hoist to get a different attatchment so I could move it into place. Here it is in place. Got most of the jelly removed, some of it was more like peanut butter.
Got all the bolt holes lined up. Removed engine hoist to get a different attatchment so I could move it into place. Here it is in place. Got most of the jelly removed, some of it was more like peanut butter.
1.jpg
Bill
Jose Rivera

Post by Jose Rivera »

Congratulations!

Looks very nice !! 8)
There are no problems, only solutions.
--------------
Retired journeyman machinist and 3D CAD mechanical designer - hobbyist - grandpa
Morph

Post by Morph »

Thanks Jose!
I know what your thinking......just more china junk. And I dont blame you. I am strickly going to be doing just hobby work. Nothing serious. I hope to just get some satisfaction out of creating my own stuff, wether it be for work or play. I once paid a machine shop $400 to machine a bus bar for a electrical distribution panel for a job I was doing. Looking at the piece it was obvious that I was being overcharged. But I can understand the machine shop as well, having to pay overhead and all he really didnt have an option. I own an electrical contracting business so I know how it is. It's just that if I had a machine to do it myself then not only would I be saving money but I would be getting the satisfaction of doing it myself. I hope to have alot of fun learning how to make chips. I have already learned a ton from you guys on this forum.
If I were into it for a career then I wouldn't even consider China made iron. Same goes for my career, I buy the best tools of the trade. We depend on them daily. If I ever do decide to get serious about machining by then I will have gotten my moneys worth out of the China iron, because that would take years and years.
Bill
Jose Rivera

Post by Jose Rivera »

Some Asian machines are OK or you get more for the money.

I know the G4000 is not a good machine by my own experience.

Let us know in time what you thing of the machine.
--------------
Retired journeyman machinist and 3D CAD mechanical designer - hobbyist - grandpa
Morph

Post by Morph »

Thanks Jose !
Is the G0492 part of the G4000 series, or is it a different monster?
I will fill you all in as the saga continues. I have to let the wake settle a little before I can get some tooling. That machine cost me too much and it would be like pouring salt on an open wound if I were to try and bring up tooling to the wife.
Bill
Jose Rivera

Post by Jose Rivera »

Looking at the pictures looks like a totally different machine.

The G4000 has a very flimsy headstock. Unlike this one.
--------------
Morph

Post by Morph »

Appreciate the info Jose.
Bill