Used Emco V10P - what should I look for?

This forum is dedicated to those hobbyists with the 3-in-1 metalworking machines. Mill-Drill-Lathes. Tips, techniques, modification and use of these machines is topical.

Moderator: Harold_V

toyjeep73

Used Emco V10P - what should I look for?

Post by toyjeep73 »

Hi all, here is a typical first time poster … post :mrgreen:. Been reading a lot of these forums for a while and figured this is the best place to ask this question.

Well, long story short is that I am new to machining. I bought a 10x36 Atlas that I have learned I should not have bought, due to excessive wear. It seemed worn when I bought it, but I did not understand at the time how worn, and I took a chance. Well, I have messed around with it a bit and have figured that I need something a little newer and in better condition so I can figure out if I am the problem, or if the machine is. I think I can part it out for more than I paid for it and come out ahead.

I have read a few posts about the V10-P being a nicely built accurate machine, and since I foresee moving a few times in the next 10 years, a 3in1 may make that easier as well.

Anyway, on to my dilemma. Locally there is a clist ad for a Maximat V10P. From the color and the 4 speed mill head I am guessing that it is an earlier model (mid '70's I guess?). I have sent the owner a request to come by and look at it but have not gotten a response yet.

The pictures don't look too bad except for some rust on the tail end of the ways. I will have to see if that is from never getting any oil during its use, or just if it has been sitting that long. I have a pretty good idea of what to look for on the lathe portion, mostly the ways and the gears.

What should I look for on the mill portion? Anything in particular that wears fast or shows abuse easily?

It only comes with a 3-jaw chuck. Is a decent 4-jaw going to cost me as much as the lathe?

What should one go for? They were asking $2000 a month ago and it is down to $1250 this month. It comes with the stuff shown below and looks like it has an indexing table for the mill already. The part that scares me most about this machine is the availability and cost of attachments. I would hate to buy $1000 machine only to drop $800 on a 4-jaw chuck once my needs require one.

Let me know what you think.

Edit: Sorry for the big pics....I am used to them resizing automatically from photobucket. And they are not my pics ....

click here

click here

click here

click here

click here
Jose Rivera

Re: Used Emco V10P - what should I look for?

Post by Jose Rivera »

Maximat V10 with the milling head can go for as much as $3,000.00, in fair condition and no tooling.

With all the tooling shown and if in good working condition $1,250 is a steal !

Just the rotary table can go for $600 or more on eBay.
There are no problems, only solutions.
--------------
Retired journeyman machinist and 3D CAD mechanical designer - hobbyist - grandpa
lakeside53

Post by lakeside53 »

That's more than a "little rust"... you'll find that apron parts, the tails stock internals and maybe the qc gearbox, the clutch etc will all be in similar condition.

I bought one in about that condition, stripped it down completely, derusted with evaporust and reverse electrolysis, new bearings as required (cheap) - it now looks and runs like new. The tear down and reassemble pictures are in my photo-bucket account.

The price is right, but you have a few months of spare time ahead of you if you want it looking good, and then with occasional lube, in condition to run good for the rest of your life.

Pull the top cover (4 screws). Make sure the fiber gears are not trashed. If if can be powered up, in addition to the usual noises etc, run the motor and make sure it works on both L and high speeds. Run all 4 gear selections on both the mill and the lathe. Take an oil can - don't run the carriage back and forth unless you lube the ways first...

That chuck doess't look like an orginal Emco (Rohm) chuck. It might be junk, but you never know by just looking at pictures . Decent 4 inch 3 -jaw chucks can cost $200-800... Similarly with 4 jaw.
Last edited by lakeside53 on Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
toyjeep73

Post by toyjeep73 »

Thanks for the replies. I wish I could say the same for the seller. Either it is sold already, or I asked too many questions about the machine in my "first contact." I will update this if I ever get to see it.