Can I use my HF 44142 for wood?

This forum is dedicated to those hobbyists with the 3-in-1 metalworking machines. Mill-Drill-Lathes. Tips, techniques, modification and use of these machines is topical.

Moderator: Harold_V

Cannonball888

Can I use my HF 44142 for wood?

Post by Cannonball888 »

Can I use it as a wood lathe and also use router bits on the mill?
steamin10

Re: Can I use my HF 44142 for wood?

Post by steamin10 »

Not well, the speed is low for router bits, and the wood will push a little more than a router. Some nice pens are made on these machines , tho I dont know the details , not having done that. I use my larger SB lathes with a regular router motor clamped up, but it makes a mess, even with the shop vac set up to hog the clippings.
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.
Cannonball888

Post by Cannonball888 »

What about the lathe part for wood?
ken572

Post by ken572 »

Cannonball888,

Yes you can but it's a pain to clean up the wood chips, dust, and sap etc.
I made some of our maintence guys Dice Cups one year for there Bars in there family
rooms. I used Oak 6" x 6" skid runners and cut off pieces, chucked them up in the
South Bend and turned the O.D., faced the front, bored out the center, faced the
inside bottom. Flipped the piece around in the chuck and faced the outside bottom.
Got the Oxy-Acet. torch and burn't all the softer grain in the wood. Put them in the
sand blast cabinet and gave them a good blast off. Dipped them in Teac Wood stain.
Let them dry for a week. Dipped them in Boat Hull Clear Acrylic Varnish. Baked them
on very low heat in one of our Blue-M Ovens for a week end. We used to make bases
for our .380 ball bearing canon's from Oak and Machine them on the Bridgports.
This was all done on our breaks and free time. :lol:

We had to clean the machines really well when done.

Ken.
One must remember.
The best learning experiences come
from working with the older Masters.
Ken.
16WhiteColly

Post by 16WhiteColly »

I used it to turn some 2”x2” Maple and it worked well.
40 year retired machinist.