My Smithy 3 in 1

This forum is dedicated to those hobbyists with the 3-in-1 metalworking machines. Mill-Drill-Lathes. Tips, techniques, modification and use of these machines is topical.

Moderator: Harold_V

ScaleModeler1974

My Smithy 3 in 1

Post by ScaleModeler1974 »

Hi All,

Merry Christmas to you all.

Now .......

I have a Smithy 3 in 1 that I purchased in 1995.....

It is an older CB1220XL machine....Like I mentioned it was purchased in 1995.

It has been in storage for the past 5 years and I am just now able to get it set up again and make a few chips.

Several questions I do have......

1.) Has anyone come up with English standard dials for this machine?

2.) Has anyone come up with a quick change gearbox for the lathe lead-screw?

3.) Where can I locate a face plate for the headstock?

4.) Also is there a conversion kit for the headstock to convert to a D1-3 or D1-4?

Thank you ....and have a nice holiday.
ken572

Re: My Smithy 3 in 1

Post by ken572 »

Dennis,

I will try to figure this problem out. I think there should be something
out there with a different diameter and increment spacing. For starters
if you make a starting point on your scale on your hand wheel and make
a real time cut or move and put a new mark on the hand wheel scale,
what difference do you end up with. :?:

Ken. :)
One must remember.
The best learning experiences come
from working with the older Masters.
Ken.
ken572

Post by ken572 »

One must remember.
The best learning experiences come
from working with the older Masters.
Ken.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

ScaleModeler1974 wrote:4.) Also is there a conversion kit for the headstock to convert to a D1-3 or D1-4?
Please bear in mind, I am not familiar with this machine.
The idea of converting to a D spindle isn't sound. Unless you replace the spindle with another of the proper configuration, you will extend the current spindle by adding an adapter. That will lead to the false notion that you can work safely with what I suspect is a threaded spindle (please correct me if I'm wrong), but, worst of all, you're introducing prospects of chatter. The farther you move away from the support bearing, the greater the chance. I think you'd find that problem very annoying.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
ScaleModeler1974

I have a flat plate with some holes in it......that is part of the spindle.......the chuck is a flat backed chuck.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

ScaleModeler1974 wrote:I have a flat plate with some holes in it......that is part of the spindle.......the chuck is a flat backed chuck.
If you're familiar with D spindles, you likely understand that they have a tapered register, plus three sockets for pins, and the cam locks that hold the chuck in place. If you add an adapter that is long enough to accommodate that geometry, you'll have extended the chuck by the thickness of the adapter. You'll still face the same issues with chatter, although it's apparent that you could bolt the adapter to the spindle, eliminating the worry of having it come off when running in reverse.

Might be a good idea to post a picture of the face of your spindle.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
ScaleModeler1974

Well now..........

I finally got my CB1220XL up onto the bench this past Friday night and today I managed to clean up a little bit and take a few pics....
Attachments
Here is my 3 in 1 lathe/mill/drill.....now just a 1 in 1 lathe.
Here is my 3 in 1 lathe/mill/drill.....now just a 1 in 1 lathe.
This is the plate that is one piece with the spindle.
This is the plate that is one piece with the spindle.
Back of the 3 jaw chuck.
Back of the 3 jaw chuck.
5 years of being in a storage shed will do this to a lathe chuck.
5 years of being in a storage shed will do this to a lathe chuck.
Bolts for mounting the chuck.
Bolts for mounting the chuck.
This is where the mill/drill head used to be.
This is where the mill/drill head used to be.
Lathe with the shelf I built this past Sunday.
Lathe with the shelf I built this past Sunday.
Head end of the lathe showing the belt drive and the gears for the carriage travel.
Head end of the lathe showing the belt drive and the gears for the carriage travel.
ScaleModeler1974

Part two of the lathe pics.
Attachments
I partially dissembled the chuck to clean it up.
I partially dissembled the chuck to clean it up.
Maybe tomorrow I will remove the jaws and clean up the face.
Maybe tomorrow I will remove the jaws and clean up the face.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

It would be very unusual for a plate to be a part of the spindle. Are you sure it doesn't thread on? It would be unusual to change a chuck by removing from the back plate---although obviously not impossible.

Lathes generally provide for easy and rapid removal of the holding device that is attached to the spindle. Were the plate you showed intended to be a permanent part of the lathe, it would have at least one slot, for driving a dog.

If have any doubts about the spindle being threaded, investigate the bore of the plate---where you may be able to see the end of the thread. You may or may not find anything, but I'd be more than surprised if you don't.

Harold
ScaleModeler1974

Here are a few more pics after finishing the reassembly of the lathe today.
Attachments
Taking apart the chuck for a good cleaning and relube.
Taking apart the chuck for a good cleaning and relube.
This is one of three small pins used to keep the chuck sockets in place so that the 3 jaw chuck can be tightened and loosened.
This is one of three small pins used to keep the chuck sockets in place so that the 3 jaw chuck can be tightened and loosened.
This is the end of the spindle at the driven end.
This is the end of the spindle at the driven end.
This is where the mill head used to be at.
This is where the mill head used to be at.
The lathe.
The lathe.
Tailstock end.
Tailstock end.
Ready to go to work making chips.
Ready to go to work making chips.
Torch

Post by Torch »

Harold_V wrote:It would be very unusual for a plate to be a part of the spindle. Are you sure it doesn't thread on? It would be unusual to change a chuck by removing from the back plate---although obviously not impossible.
Actually, that arrangement is quite common with the 3-in-1 machines, most of which are all made in the same factory or at least, to the same design. The face of the spindle is not a plate, per se, though. The face has a raised boss to centre a plain-back chuck and then 3 bolt-holes around the periphery to secure it. An 8" plate (relieved to centre on the boss) can be bolted to it the same way the chuck is. Here is a typical parts diagram of the type:
Lathe_head_parts.jpg
(you can see the faceplate and the 4-jaw adapter as items 276 and 277, respectively.)

and here's a close-up of the chuck mounting:
chuck_mount.jpg
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Torch wrote:
Harold_V wrote:It would be very unusual for a plate to be a part of the spindle. Are you sure it doesn't thread on? It would be unusual to change a chuck by removing from the back plate---although obviously not impossible.
Actually, that arrangement is quite common with the 3-in-1 machines, most of which are all made in the same factory or at least, to the same design. The face of the spindle is not a plate, per se, though. The face has a raised boss to centre a plain-back chuck and then 3 bolt-holes around the periphery to secure it. An 8" plate (relieved to centre on the boss) can be bolted to it the same way the chuck is. Here is a typical parts diagram of the type:
So then, if you wish to mount the face plate, an adapter is placed between the plate (that forms the spindle end) and the face plate? Makes me wonder why they wouldn't make the plate the same size for all accessories, so no adapter is needed.

Do forgive me---I have absolutely no experience with the 3-1 machines, so my logic applies to machines with which I'm familiar. I do thank you for the enlightening bit of information, however! :wink:

Harold