Maximat Mill Problem

This forum is dedicated to those hobbyists with the 3-in-1 metalworking machines. Mill-Drill-Lathes. Tips, techniques, modification and use of these machines is topical.

Moderator: Harold_V

Harold_V

Re: Maximat Mill Problem

Post by Harold_V »

MikeA wrote:The good news is that method I referred to via link that uses Acetal with a heat/pressure method to make an exact nut regardless of the size. At least I have a viable alternative this way.
That's an excellent solution to the problem, especially if it's a bastard thread, as it appears to be.

I'd be interested in hearing how it goes, so please do post the results you achieve. It would serve other readers well, too.

Good luck! :wink:

Harold

PS--I was just thinking. Delrin AF is Teflon filled acetyl. I don't know if it would respond to the forming process, but if it would, it would be an excellent choice for the nut. I used to make a nut for metering pumps from the material, for Becton Dickinson Pharmaceutical. It's very nice to machine, if you haven't worked with the stuff.
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
MikeA

Re: Maximat Mill Problem

Post by MikeA »

Hello Harold,

I guess the PTFE filled material would provide a better coefficient of friction, but I wonder if it would change the melting point much? Just checked and the MP on both is 347°F so it should be fine.

When I make the Acme nut I'll definitely use this process, but that won't happen as long as the partial nut continues to function. Nice to have this in my back pocket for the eventual replacement.

Best,
Mike
Better is the enemy of good enough!