Need assisstance with a 3 in1 Central Machinery 5981

This forum is dedicated to those hobbyists with the 3-in-1 metalworking machines. Mill-Drill-Lathes. Tips, techniques, modification and use of these machines is topical.

Moderator: Harold_V

rickou812

Need assisstance with a 3 in1 Central Machinery 5981

Post by rickou812 »

I have had this machine for about 5 years, it has been sitting in a shed, never got around to setting it up until this week. While getting it setup on a stand and going over everything, I found that it does not have a draw bar present. I bought the machine used several years...
I can not find any information on the 5981 model. Can someone help determine what type of collets I need and a draw bar that will work with them and this machine?

Thanks,
Rick
Torch

Re: Need assisstance with a 3 in1 Central Machinery 5981

Post by Torch »

Well fortunately, you have a lathe so you can make your own drawbar...
The mill spindle of most 3-in-1 machines is usually MT2 or MT3, but Central Machinery has sold a small model with an MT1 and a large model with an R8 taper. Once you know the taper you can pick out the collets (or mill holders) that you want and will size the drawbar to them.

Did you get a drill chuck with the machine that fits the mill spindle? It's probably easier to measure the male taper from that than the female spindle.
rickou812

Post by rickou812 »

I do have a drill chuck with it and will see if I can use it to figure out the taper. Here is a pic I found on google that is the same as the machine as I have.
The_cheap_price_multi_purpose_lathe_machine_CQ9109.jpg
Torch

Post by Torch »

That looks a lot like a variant of the Central Machinery 5980, but with a powered feed screw making it capable of turning threads.

If that is the case, and if that is the only difference, I believe the 5980 has an MT2 taper in both the tailstock and the milling spindle, and an MT3 taper in the lathe headstock. From the 5980 manual:

Max. swing dia. over bed 360mm
Max. dia. of turning (middle cabon steel) 40mm
Max. distance between centers 330mm
Max. longitudinal stroke 210mm
Max. transverse stroke 145mm
Morse taper of spindle hole No. 3
Bore dia of spindle 20mm
Morse taper of tailstock hole No. 2
Spindle speeds 500, 900, 1600r/min
Turning motor 370W
Max. drilling dia. 16mm
Morse taper of milling spindle hole No. 2
Max. dia. of end mill 12mm
Max. dia. of facer 63mm
Max. stroke of milling quill 75mm
Spindle speeds 5 steps 430~2000r/min(220v/380v)
4 steps 430~1500r/min(110v)
Milling motor 250~370w
Area of bench (LxW) 155mm x 200mm
Turn - round of drilling - milling box +/- 90°
rickou812

Post by rickou812 »

I just went out and knocked the chuck out of the quill and it is a MT2.

Just ordered a set of collets and a set of end mills.

Thanks, I am sure I'll be back with more questions sooner than later.

Rick
JimEb

Post by JimEb »

I found with mine the draw bar was some metric thread which didnt fit the availible MT2 collets. Ended up just cutting a length of all-thread from the hardware store to the length I needed.
Ronniemattix

Post by Ronniemattix »

Hi I have this 5981 it seems to be the only one with the gearbox he left of the lead screw all the rest have variable speed drive or something. Is there anybody that has any type of parts list or exploded views or anything? Mine has a problem with the have nut. I don't want to tear it apart and then never get it back together so I kind of want to know that I can get the parts for it I know it's a crazy question I've only seen a few of these 598 ones.and probably I'm not posting this in the right place I don't know I was just reading this guy's questions and I don't know if anybody has any information on these it'd be nice if I could get a little something from them.
Ronniemattix

Post by Ronniemattix »

Actually I need help with this 5981 I checked the FAQ and looked around and searched and read all articles with 5981 in them and now I'm replying to my own reply to somebody else's post because I don't know where to post a question about my 5981 Central machinery three and one or two in one or whatever it is so anyway if anybody has any information about these like like owner's manual or something I mean it'd be nice if I could get them picture or something I'm trying to rewire the motor I'm trying not to rewire the motor I'm trying to put a new switch on it and it was working absolutely fine until I took the switch off because the screws came out of it but I had to force the knob off and that broke the switch so I bought a new switch and now I can't get the motors to turn on I know I'm worthless maybe I'll just get rid of this stupid thing thanks bye oh yeah thanks to myself whatever. I guess if I just post this maybe somebody else yet who knows bye
rmac

Post by rmac »

Ronnie,

Welcome to the forum. I don't know anything about that machine, but i was able to find the owner's manual online. I've attached a copy to this post. Maybe it will help you out. If not, be patient ... if somebody here knows about your machine, they will most likely' see this thread and try to get you going.

-- Russell Mac
Attachments
22133036.pdf
(1.35 MiB) Downloaded 272 times
Torch

Post by Torch »

A photo of your machine would be nice. I assume it is different from the one pictured in the manual, above, since you say it has a gear box.

Typically, if you have a machine with screw cutting lead screw, the lead screw separates from the gearbox with a roll pin and is extracted, the table has to come off to access the apron mounting screws, then the apron comes off to access the half nut.
rmac

Post by rmac »

Torch wrote: I assume it is different from the one pictured in the manual, above, since you say it has a gear box.
You're right. My mistake. The manual is for the 5980, not the 5981.

-- Russell Mac
Torch

Post by Torch »

Ronniemattix wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 3:40 pmif anybody has any information about these like like owner's manual or something I mean it'd be nice if I could get them picture or something I'm trying to rewire the motor I'm trying not to rewire the motor I'm trying to put a new switch on it and it was working absolutely fine until I took the switch off because the screws came out of it but I had to force the knob off and that broke the switch so I bought a new switch and now I can't get the motors to turn on I know I'm worthless maybe I'll just get rid of this stupid thing
First of all, nobody is worthless. Not you, not anyone.

Some people have more experience than others, but that is something we can try to help out with .

The manual that Russel posted, above is for a very similar model. It might be similar enough to help with the wiring issue, even if it doesn't have a half nut. And some of us have enough experience with other machines that we might be able to figure this out without the correct manual.

So first question, does your machine have one motor or two? Can you post some pictures of the machine, the switch you bought, the old switch, the wiring. As much detail as possible will make it easier to help.