WTB Journal Box LIds

For the Buying/Selling/Trading of items of interest to those of us in the Live Steam Hobby.

Moderators: gwrdriver, Harold_V

dwilloughby

WTB Journal Box LIds

Post by dwilloughby »

Looking for journal box covers/lids for Winton arch bar trucks. I need 8.
ccvstmr

Re: WTB Journal Box LIds

Post by ccvstmr »

Dean...seriously doubt you'll find someone sitting on a bunch of Winton truck journals. Your only recourse might be to fabricate some.

Did this back in '07 when a set of Winton arch bar trucks was missing (3) covers. Can show you how I did that. Since you need a complete set of covers...might make more sense to fabricate (1) and then resin cast or cast in a low temp melting alloy metal. Did that too recently for another arch bar truck project in need of journal covers that I'll be working on soon enough. Can show that as well.

No matter which way you go, it's going to take some effort to recreate a product no longer readily available on the market...or something someone might have stashed away in their spare parts boxes. In particular, when you need qty=8 covers.

Carl B.
Life is like a sewer...what you get out of it depends on what you put into it!
I don't walk on water...I just learned where some of the stepping stones are!
I love mankind...it's some of the people I can't stand!
Dick_Morris

Post by Dick_Morris »

I think I may have a few that came in a box of assorted Winton stuff from Ebay 10-15 years ago. I'll see what I have. My recollection is that I have two sizes. What are the rough measurements you are looking for?
Dick_Morris

Post by Dick_Morris »

I have 8 that measure 7/8" x 1-1/4" and 23 that measure 13/16" x 1". Measurements are of the rectangular portion, not including the tab or hinge. Although they are Winton journal lids, I can't say if they went with an arch bar truck.
Attachments
winton.jpg
Dick_Morris

Post by Dick_Morris »

might make more sense to fabricate (1) and then resin cast or cast in a low temp melting alloy metal.
This type of part also lends itself to 3D printing.
dwilloughby

Post by dwilloughby »

Dick, I will have to measure the journal box later this week and get back to you. I only need one as I have a friend that can do lost wax castings once he has an original. Thanks Dean.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

dwilloughby wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 1:41 pm I only need one as I have a friend that can do lost wax castings once he has an original.
Be aware that making a lost wax (investment) casting from an existing part will result in double shrinkage, with end results that may not be desirable.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
Dick_Morris

Post by Dick_Morris »

I cast my own parts partly to save money, partly because they aren't available elsewhere, and partly because I like to do be able to say I made it myself.

Given the costs in time, metal, investment, etc., it's hardly worth the effort to cast them if you can get them for a reasonable price. I agree with what Harold says about shrinkage, although I once used an RRSC cover as a pattern to cast a replacement for one that had gone missing and it worked OK. Another consideration is that these are sand cast, so if your friend will be getting his waxes from a mold made from the casting it will be no better than the sand cast original. Also note that for the bigger ones, I have 8. If I sent one off I would have less than a complete set.
dwilloughby

Post by dwilloughby »

Thanks to Dick Morris, I will have some NOS journal box lids to repair a 50 year old set of tender trucks. Thanks Dick
Highiron

Post by Highiron »

Dean are you looking for the ones with the W on them or the star I have these with the star on them available
Attachments
20200913_150735~5.jpg