Stainless Steel Track Screws

For the Buying/Selling/Trading of items of interest to those of us in the Live Steam Hobby.

Moderators: gwrdriver, Harold_V

Fender

Stainless Steel Track Screws

Post by Fender »

Can anyone recommend a source for s.s. track screws? I'm looking for wood screws, not sheet metal screws, preferably with a washer. I'm going to need about 15,000 screws, so a low unit cost is an important factor.
Thanks,
Dan Watson
Chattanooga, TN
Gary Armitstead

Re: Stainless Steel Track Screws

Post by Gary Armitstead »

Dan,

Try McMaster-Carr. They will probably be the only ones around that could give you a nice discount for 15.000+ screws. When you specify you only want to use wood screws in stainless, then you start to limit yourself with the types of screws you can get. You will get a greater variety by looking at sheet metal screws, I believe. IMHO.
Gary Armitstead
Burbank, CA
Member LALS since 1980
Member Goleta Valley Railroad Club 1980-1993
Fender

Post by Fender »

Thanks, Gary. Our experience with sheet metal screws is that they do not hold as well in wood ties, and more frequently strip out.
Dan Watson
Chattanooga, TN
GS14403

Post by GS14403 »

You may try this company, I did not see wood screws but maybe one of the other designs may work. An inquiry may also yield the results you desire. They have a local store in Rancho Cordova, Ca. and I use them for some of the more unusual fasteners the local hardware stores do not carry.

http://www.olander.com/default.aspx?Page=Home

Good luck with your search.

Donald
DRS_RR

Post by DRS_RR »

I've been using this company for fasteners....

http://www.fmwfasteners.com/

I've had some good service from them so far on things I've ordered from them...

These fasteners...they aren't Stainless Steel, but seem ok for what I've done so far on my little track I'm working on.

2139003 10 x 1 Slotted Hex Washer Self Piercing Screw Zinc Plated (5/16 drive)

Dave
FLtenwheeler

Post by FLtenwheeler »

Do a search for "Stainless steel hex washer head wood screw"

Tim
He who dies with the most unfinished projects: Should of put more time into their hobby.
chooch

Post by chooch »

If "Self Piercing" screws are the ones with a sort of Drill point--not a Sharp point, I have found the Drill point do Not hold good in wood or some metals. A 5/16 drive head seems to me the screw threads (shank) would be a little larger diameter than really needed. Like a number 12 ( I "Think") vs. 1/4 drive head and smaller screw. Just a thought for comparison.
But, if what you have work for you, that`s good.
chooch
DRS_RR wrote:I've been using this company for fasteners....

These fasteners...they aren't Stainless Steel, but seem ok for what I've done so far on my little track I'm working on.

Dave
765nkp

Post by 765nkp »

I got a great deal on some off eBay. I bought boxes of 5,000. They were about half of what everyone else was wanting. It's been a few years, but I would think you can find some.

Tim
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

Dan, IMHO you will do well to use stainless. I used up my short order of marine screws, and went to phllips head 3/4 and then 1 inch length for track, #8 with loose washers. I drilled the mostly oak wood ties, with a treatment of deck preserver based on copper. I found that not drilling the locations (jig) forced the wood to split a bit, not noticeable, but let water in deep to the wood, and rot begins there. predrill, mostly stops that part, and the 8's hold well, better with the 1 inch. The wood ties were milled with two slots that gauged the rails. I built a saw with two chipper blades from a spindle that cut the slots in one pass, not hard to do. Simple plywood top, 2x2 foot, with the works beneath, on horses. Dunked in preserver, then used motor oil, they lasted OK. I had some plastic wood, but it turned out to be wood filled, and grew moss the first year. (salvage, I like free whenever it works. The Oak was from dunage blocks of 4x4 from a rail yard where they cleaned the cars before loading sand.)

ANY wood treatment is based on metals salts, and that corrodes the thin zinc off of normal steel fasteners as early as two years. My test track was only up 5 years, but was not doing well in my moisture laden, fog and bog based swamp.

At any rate, A Marine source may be found if you can sidestep the consumer small lot burden.

My source was the Travel trailer industry, that had fasteners all over the salvage houses for pennies on a foot cubed box of sometimes mixed screws. Good luck on your hunt.
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.
DRS_RR

Post by DRS_RR »

I appreciate the information and feedback, good stuff.

Dave
Fender

Post by Fender »

DRS_RR wrote:I've been using this company for fasteners....

Dave
Dave,
I'll keep these guys in mind. They have the best price I've seen on non-stainless washer-head wood screws, only $ .027 each in lots of 2000+ for the #9 X 1" pole gripper screws.
Thanks,
Dan Watson
Chattanooga, TN
RONALD

Post by RONALD »

We bought 5,000, and then another 20,000 #10 by 3/4" SS hexhead self-tapping screws from this outfit in Kansas; gave us a good price.

We have had no problems with those screws.

Here is their section for wood screws, and a photo of the ST screws in use:

http://www.infinityfasteners.com/Catego ... D%2BSCREWS
Attachments
DSCN9653_3.jpg