READING CAMELBACK 0-4-0 CASTINGS FOR SALE

For the Buying/Selling/Trading of items of interest to those of us in the Live Steam Hobby.

Moderators: gwrdriver, Harold_V

Trainman4602

Re: READING CAMELBACK 0-4-0 CASTINGS FOR SALE

Post by Trainman4602 »

I have also seen these built into an articulate locomotive 2-4-4-2. Don Marshall in Woodstock Vermont used them to build Skookums a 2-4-4-2
ALLWAYS OPERATING MY TRAIN IN A SAFE MANNER USING AUTOMATIC AIR BRAKES
fl_mikado

Post by fl_mikado »

Thanks Tim, having run Mort's engine that gives me a good idea of its capability, just did not know it was from a Mercer set.

Thanks Dave, for posting the video, still thinking about it but getting closer.

FRED
kenrinc

Post by kenrinc »

What's not to like? Cutest thing ever. $.02

Ken-
camelback.jpg
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

you are doing a good job Dave -> for a market that should be there...

People don't have the $$$ to build huge locos these days and your offering is just what is needed at an affordable price.

Patience is a virtue...which I know is easy to say when it isn't my $$ sitting there on the table looking at me.

I've been cogitating on making one of these with outside valve gear for years.
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
wewilliams

Post by wewilliams »

Guys - Stop talking about it & contact Dave. The man is selling gold for the price of silver, get some.

LE has an 0-4-0 kit, somewhere around $4k if I recall correctly, Dave is asking $1350, castings & frames. Are you kidding!
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

Dave and LE are not the only ones. RR Supply & Allen Models also offer 0-4-0 variants....

Not that I am pushing / recommending one over the other -> just stating fact.

Even at his standard list price, his work is a steal.
wewilliams

Post by wewilliams »

7 sets available
SteveM

Re: CASTING KIT SPECIAL

Post by SteveM »

Trainman4602 wrote:II had big plans to make videos on its construction. I don’t think I will considering the lack of interest.
I think a video series could drum up some interest. When the series is done, you could include a set of the videos with the kit.

What size lathe would you need to machine all the parts? Could it be done on a 9" South Bend?

Steve
wewilliams

Post by wewilliams »

He said the 1st one was on a 9" South Bend with a milling attachment. Super basic stuff.
PRR5406

Post by PRR5406 »

This is an amazing locomotive at a super basic entry price. The prototype was just a great, classic, little branch line switcher. You'll see these Mercer and pre-Mercer A5a Camelbacks at meets all over the northeast. This is the perfect locomotive to get you steaming, and Dave is selling it for less than a vintage used car.
"Always stopping my train, and risking my ankles, with American made, New Balance sneakers."
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

Totally agree, but in reality, cutting the cost does not solve the basic problem..

If people are going to purchase to build, the $$$ difference in the castings should not drive them to Dave. His work speaks for itself.

There are a couple of issues going on here

1> what is the real cost of building the loco? For those that have been there done that, the cost of the castings is just a small portion of it...so if someone has the $$$ to build the loco, a $500 or so difference in the cost of the castings should not be a consideration.

2> The other concept in play here is one of 'perceived value'. There are (for example) 4 companies selling castings to build very similar locos. The prices range (for example) from $1500 to $5000 for that the inexperienced builder may see as 'the same stuff'.

So..without knowing Dave and his work, someone may well say 'how can he sell it so cheap?...must be something wrong....XXXX company wants $4000 for the same iron..

Not that I am saying there is something wrong with what Dave is offering (far from it)..but there is the PERCIEVED situation that there may be.

I went through this in the software business 30 years ago when I was writing / selling CAM software for $900 and got no bites. I didn't understand this until the above marketing concept was explained to me by someone who was in the marketing business.

Know what?...I doubled my price to $1999 and sales picked up significantly because at the $1999 price people PERCIEVED that there was actually something going on worth spending the money on to drive their machines.

I totally understand Dave's frustration but have experience that cutting price to the bare-bones is going to significantly increase sales.

It is a question of confidence...and here is where a 'this is a loco that I built from Dave's castings' blurb will become very helpful.
LVRR2095

Post by LVRR2095 »

Go here to see a Maine 2' gauge Forney built using Mercer A-5 castings.
Since this video was taken the locomotive has been completed and can be seen at meets at the Pioneer Valley Live Steamers in Massachusetts.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAbSs901CtY

Keith