READING CAMELBACK 0-4-0 CASTINGS FOR SALE

For the Buying/Selling/Trading of items of interest to those of us in the Live Steam Hobby.

Moderators: gwrdriver, Harold_V

Trainman4602

Re: READING CAMELBACK 0-4-0 CASTINGS FOR SALE

Post by Trainman4602 »

***DELETED!***
Last edited by Trainman4602 on Thu Feb 02, 2017 4:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ALLWAYS OPERATING MY TRAIN IN A SAFE MANNER USING AUTOMATIC AIR BRAKES
Mike Walsh

Post by Mike Walsh »

Dave,

Bill is not saying there is anything wrong with your kits at all. Bill is not attacking you.

Bill is simply saying that the price cut might be giving people the impression of a problem.

For instance, why would I buy a car at $1,000 which is perfectly fine, but market value is $10,000? I would be suspicious that it'd be a lemon.

In fact, Bill goes on to say that you turn out remarkable work. He's trying to help others realize that your kit is VERY much worth the purchase and they won't be disappointed.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

Mike:

Thanks for actually READING rather than REACTING...

Gotta love unbridled emotions totally disconnected from logical brain function.

now that might be construed to be a negative comment...and maybe one that is deserved..
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

It is my opinion that Dave misunderstood Bill's comments, that he was not trying to undermine Dave, but help him. I read his comments as being very positive (supportive, really), not negative.

Might pay for you to review what he said, Dave.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
GaryB

Post by GaryB »

Hi,
Unfortunately, I think there is some validity to Bill's observation. I believe most people get what they pay for and when they don't pay anything, or very much for something they don't appreciate the value that they may be getting.

That said, a couple of years ago, after finding the prints for a Tich that my brother had purchased 40+ years ago, my desire to build a live steamer was rekindled. Unfortunately, because I had no idea where the plans were at the time, when I saw the frame and wheel castings in his garage five years ago I didn't ask his kids for them.

I fairly quickly decided that if I was starting from scratch anyway I would prefer a 1.5 scale North American locomotive. I also knew that I would have no time to invest in a project until this past fall, so have spend the intervening time researching locomotives and appliances, potential candidates and construction information.

Just this week I saw Dave's YouTube presentation and then found this thread. Although I've never seen Dave's work in person, I have watched many of his other YouTube videos and I appreciate the wealth of knowledge he has and if that wasn't enough the kudos on here validate my decision to take advantage of the great offer Dave has made available and will be purchasing one of these kits.

Just waiting to hear back from my email to Dave.

Gary

P.S. Posting the kit info on Facebook would hit a larger target market. The "Backyard Railroading" group has a For Sale section that you need to list on Dave. And don't say you're too old, because my 90 year old mother is on Facebook. So get your son to help you if necessary.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

It's a sweet little loco...runs like a clock and very manageable...a good compromise for anyone that wants a 1.5" loco but not one TOO BIG to handle as we (all) get older and have to learn to work in the realistic budget world.

I have personally seen about 20 of them (including the original 3)..most of which came from Dave's castings (probably 17 of them) -> so it is a proven design.

And not too big that you cannot get a couple of friends to help get it into a Subaru (yes I have seen that)...it's a squeeze but it will fit.
LVRR2095

Post by LVRR2095 »

Bill Shields wrote: I have personally seen about 20 of them (including the original 3)..most of which came from Dave's castings (probably 17 of them) -> so it is a proven design..
Bill there were originally four. Ben Nixon, Elmer Nuskey, Gil Rittenburg and Bud Kremers.

Keith
PRR5406

Post by PRR5406 »

Mine was built by Elmer Nuskey and has a Ben Nixon pump! I love it!
"Always stopping my train, and risking my ankles, with American made, New Balance sneakers."
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

then you have one of the originals...or did Elmer make (parts of) or more than the original 3?
Bob D.

Post by Bob D. »

These are great locos. Mine has an all copper boiler and with 300lbs on the drivers pulls like a champ. I have a few of Dave's recent items and the quality is superb. If your prepared to build a steamer you can't go wrong with this choice.
Bob D.
Attachments
image.jpeg
3/4" Juliet II 0-4-0
3/4" Purinton Mogul "Pogo"
3/4" Hall Class 10 wheeler
3/4" Evans Caribou/Buffalo 2-8-0
3/4" Sweet Violet 0-4-0
3/4" Hunslet 4-6-0
3/4" Kozo A3. Delayed construction project

1 1/2" A5 Camelback 0-4-0
LVRR2095

Post by LVRR2095 »

Bill Shields wrote:then you have one of the originals...or did Elmer make (parts of) or more than the original 3?
The original project was a collaboration between four men. Each did their part of the job doing what they knew best. The original four locomotives were built by the four. If I remember correctly Elmer Nuskey did the design, Ben Nixon built the chassis Gil Rittenburg did all of the sheet metal and Mr. Kremers built the boilers. It was fifty years ago so I may not be remembering who did exactly what. But all four men worked on all four original locomotives.

Keith
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

interesting...I only saw 1171 / 2 / 3 together & don't remember Ben ever mentioning a 4th to me.

must be getting old....