READING CAMELBACK 0-4-0 CASTINGS FOR SALE

For the Buying/Selling/Trading of items of interest to those of us in the Live Steam Hobby.

Moderators: gwrdriver, Harold_V

PRR5406

Re: READING CAMELBACK 0-4-0 CASTINGS FOR SALE

Post by PRR5406 »

To summarize: Dave Sclavi's products are top drawer. The cast's are complete and bargain priced for an exemplary locomotive. The models are found all over the country, they are of a true prototype switcher that is cute as a button, pulls like a draft horse, and is suitable of the novice to construct.
This kit with the documentation is one of the best bargains you'll ever see. You will probably not see a steam locomotive of this quality marketed at this price again.
How many opportunities remain to own one? Seven?
"Always stopping my train, and risking my ankles, with American made, New Balance sneakers."
Trainman4602

Post by Trainman4602 »

Six and a few pending
ALLWAYS OPERATING MY TRAIN IN A SAFE MANNER USING AUTOMATIC AIR BRAKES
Underdog

Post by Underdog »

There was mention of a potential video. Not sure if there's a builder's log for the Reading 0-4-0. Kozo Hiraoka's Pennsylvania A3 Switcher is often recommended as a beginner's project because of the resources and support that exists (book, build forums, few videos), a big help to a novice climbing the learning curve. The Reading Camelback 0-4-0 might attract a similar "cult" following of new or potential builders (and the A3 has to be scaled up to 1.5" ). What if a few introductory castings were made available? A few wheels or something that would allow someone to test the waters. Each month the builder would tackle another project. If there were 200 subscribers? Local clubs and voc schools could offer evening workshops. The Reading Camelback 0-4-0 has so much to offer (especially with Dave doing the frames).

PRR5406 shows a Reading 0-4-0 on the "tube" running at the Washington County Railroad in Cherryfield, Maine. Pulls a lot for the size: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_f6X039-yQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkPx8gDt9A8

This one is somewhat similar
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5WNiT7y7k0s
Trainman4602

Post by Trainman4602 »

That would have been possible years ago. Today the supplier would have to stock these casting in hopes that they would sell. I would have to triple the price to make it worth while.
ALLWAYS OPERATING MY TRAIN IN A SAFE MANNER USING AUTOMATIC AIR BRAKES
thomaskremers

Post by thomaskremers »

Hello to the Camelback lovers of the world....well I hope that is who is reading this. I'm sorry my side of the story has been silent for so long but I believe we are the only surviving family of the original four. The good news is that we still run little 1172 that my grandfather built. He died when I was 7, similar to Ben's grandson Jason who lost his grandpa at 5, so I didn't really know him, but my kids are now 4th generation engineers.
Glen Kremers 1172 0-4-0 camelback
Glen Kremers 1172 0-4-0 camelback
Luckily Joe Tansky has helped us keep the only part that seems to wear out, the amazing bump built by Ben Nixon. I think this train has run every year, or close to it, in it's 45 years and I think my dad runs it about 4 times or more each year at Tony's track in Eden NY. My proposal is to see how many Camelback's we can get together at the Finger Lakes Live Steam 50th anniversary Aug 1--4 2019. I remember going to FLLS and seeing two or three together and I think I was their at New Jersey with three of them together back in the 80's.
It might take three just to get up the new grade for FLLS's brand new overpass bridge that should be finished for the celebration.

Also, if anyone needs a complete set of the original drawings, Ed McConnell of FLLS is selling a set. I would buy them to keep but I'm not sure how much to pay. The trains are so well built, I don't foresee needing the drawings, other than Ben's pump. Did anyone dig that schematic up?

Our next project-Get dad to hire Marty to rebuild the George the fifth boiler that started Bud Kremers obsession in trains....