Don Young Maxi Lucky 7 Drawings ****SOLD****

For the Buying/Selling/Trading of items of interest to those of us in the Live Steam Hobby.

Moderators: gwrdriver, Harold_V

alco2350

Re: Don Young Maxi Lucky 7 Drawings ****SOLD****

Post by alco2350 »

elm53 wrote:Britt, just a point of clarification, Keith Appleton is a model engineer who posts many videos on youtube. Don's last sentence in his post is how Keith ends all his videos.Don just gave credit where it was due.
Gotcha. I caught the reference as I subscribe to Keith's channel. I thought Don was Keith.

Britt

Sent from my Galaxy Note 8 using Tapatalk

Twombo

Post by Twombo »

Don Youngs build notes are very illuminating as published in the build series published in Live Steam between 1977 and 1981 . Good reading for the model engineering enthusiast. I have managed to gather up a full set.
Crazy dreamer that I am, I would like to build a Lucky7 When i finish Marie estelle It looks like the boilers are almost the same.
I have done some sketches with a mind to kitbashing Marie into A 0-4-4 Maine style Locomotive. Not very authentic, but it would be a fun little beast.
I have collected all of Don’s build series and they are well worth having. He gives lots of insight in to the “how” aspect of building his designs. That is really valuable.
alco2350

Post by alco2350 »

Twombo wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:44 pm Don Youngs build notes are very illuminating as published in the build series published in Live Steam between 1977 and 1981 . Good reading for the model engineering enthusiast. I have managed to gather up a full set.
Crazy dreamer that I am, I would like to build a Lucky7 When i finish Marie estelle It looks like the boilers are almost the same.
I have done some sketches with a mind to kitbashing Marie into A 0-4-4 Maine style Locomotive. Not very authentic, but it would be a fun little beast.
I have collected all of Don’s build series and they are well worth having. He gives lots of insight in to the “how” aspect of building his designs. That is really valuable.
I've heard that his notes are very useful. Hopefully I can scrounge up a full set to go along with the drawings.

At the moment, I'm gathering raw material and tooling up the Bridgeport. I'm also modeling several of the key components in Solidworks, more for a dimensional check than anything else. Some of the given dimensions on the drawings don't seem to make much sense, Solidworks has kept me from making a few mistakes right off of the bat.

Britt Bettell
steamingdon

Post by steamingdon »

Just like I said :shock:
steamer
alco2350

Post by alco2350 »

steamingdon wrote:Just like I said :shock:
I'd still love to hear any experiences or glaring errors you may have run across.

Britt

Sent from my Galaxy Note 8 using Tapatalk

steamingdon

Post by steamingdon »

Oh Boy! There are quite a few up to this point. I am building the valve gear @ present and have found @ least three errors, so far. A redraw of these details is a good idea. The two threaded holes that hold the valve gland nut on are 90 degrees out of position, this will make it impossible to tighten gland nut. The valve guide itself is a challenge. 5 piece construction. Remember I am building the 3 1/2" gauge model. I think the designer never built a proto-type. this would have found all of the design and drawing errors. If and when we finish said model in either gauge, we will be the first in this country. When you start making chips you will see as you go. The next time Elm 53 is over I will have him take some photos. This is a huge job. Good luck. :D
steamer
elm53

Post by elm53 »

Attached are 2 shots of the corrected packing gland position. The second 2shots are the almost completed crossheads. My experience in the building trades let me easily understand Steamingdon's frustration with these drawings,and I agree with his statement about Young never actually building this particular design. Weather its a house, a cabinet ,or a locomotive,a good set of drawings or designs should make it easier for the builder . No disrespect to the late Mr Young,but in the case of this locomotive, the locomotive designs leave a bit to be desired....just my opinion.
Regards,Elm53
1518032251759-584137061.jpg
1518032269882-471169971.jpg
1518032297676305592167.jpg
Attachments
1518032218373-2025295549.jpg
elm53

Post by elm53 »

Correction...the first and fourth pic are the repositioned valve glands.
Trainman4602

Post by Trainman4602 »

I'm Curious.

There has been quite a few of these locomotives built and I agree with you on your design change but the question is .Is this something that others found to be a problem on their locomotives?

I should think and even better way would be using a threaded spanner style nut. The style that you are using can cause a misalignment of the gland if you don't evenly tighten it.
ALLWAYS OPERATING MY TRAIN IN A SAFE MANNER USING AUTOMATIC AIR BRAKES
elm53

Post by elm53 »

Here in the states? And the 31/2 " version? Don would have to comment as he's doing the work. Hope all is well with you Dave!
AMc

Post by AMc »

There is a maxi 7 on U Tube. maxi7steamed@brls
elm53

Post by elm53 »

Great ....how many LUCKY 7'S 3 1/3" Gauge were built ..completed in the US? There werr more maxis built than the original Lucky 7.