New Decapod Frame from Allen Models

For the Buying/Selling/Trading of items of interest to those of us in the Live Steam Hobby.

Moderators: gwrdriver, Harold_V

Steve Alley

New Decapod Frame from Allen Models

Post by Steve Alley »

Working with a new customer that whats to build a 2-10-0 out of a 2-8-0. we are working with him and working out a water jet cut frame. Would there be anyone else that would be interested please contact me very soon. This will need to have a deposit for the second frame also to be made. Buy add another frame to this special order may help to reduce cost of the one off order. I would add more frames of the usual Allen Models engine frame at this time and help this order to push though a lower cost. I est. 450.00 per 2-10-0 engine frames at this time, but with more orders this price may reduce. Call me so I can go over this with you to explain how this will work. 775-782-3800

Steve Alley
makinsmoke

Re: New Decapod Frame from Allen Models

Post by makinsmoke »

Steve,
Get in touch with Scott (Pontiacguy).

He has Roy Pickard's 2-10-2 built from Gene's castings. He might be able to help you and your customer running some traps on this new engine.

Brian
Berkman

Post by Berkman »

Scott's is from Little Engines 0-4-0 castings. Its a 2-10-0
makinsmoke

Post by makinsmoke »

Then I was misinformed.

I had heard it was from Gene's Consol.

Apologies.
Pontiacguy1

Post by Pontiacguy1 »

Nope. 989 started out life as a LE 0-4-0 built mostly from pre-machined parts that Roy purchased. He started building it around 1960. The stack is from Allen Models, and a few other small bits and pieces, but that's it.

A little more info about the 2-10-0 you are going to build would be nice.... is it going to be a stretched version of your consolidation, or something completely different?
Berkman

Post by Berkman »

wasn't there a 2-10-0 built from Roger Goldmann 2-8-0 castings? I've never seen a photo of the 2-10-0 or his 2-8-0.
makinsmoke

Post by makinsmoke »

Course engineering a trailing truck in there would be awesome as well!
Steve Alley

Post by Steve Alley »

More Info on what is going on. Follow this link.
https://www.facebook.com/csferrington/p ... 5292819082

Interesting where this is going and yes we are here to please and make what is needed for the hobby though Allen Models.

Steve Alley
Pontiacguy1

Post by Pontiacguy1 »

Sorry.... don't do facebook. Any way you could post a photo? There aren't very many decapods in this hobby, so I'm interested anytime I hear about one.

I've found that mine, although it runs and steams good, suffers from some of the same problems that made the prototype not-so-popular. Things like it doesn't like to back up very well, especially through the divergent leg of a switch. Does ok, but you have to be careful when backing up with that long rigid wheelbase, or it'll be on the ground.
makinsmoke

Post by makinsmoke »

The trailing truck was installed on the prototypes to help backing up after helper moves.

The 940 even being the smaller 2-10-2 with shorter wheelbase than the 3800's, has wear marks on the frame fore and aft, where the front and rear drivers cut into the frame on tight curves.

Pretty amazing. It must have made a hell of a racket.
Harlock

Post by Harlock »

Here's a rendering of the frame as-waterjet. It's a consolidation frame with one extra driver at the rear.
Attachments
decapod.png
Live Steam Photography and more - gallery.mikemassee.com
Product Development and E-Commerce, Allen Models of Nevada
Steve Alley

Post by Steve Alley »

Well I heard from the water jet company the 2-10-0 frame set is done and waiting for finish payment to ship out. Drop shipping and waiting for funds on this. It sold for 450.00 and not enough profit this time around but held to the price I quote. This was a one off cut frame and no other work done. This is why the profit was low. Have to rethink pricing on one off things. Hopefully by the end of week this is being ship off and all work complete.
So to recap this started on Jan 14 or so and we had to make new drawing (Thanks to some special person Dean) then off for quote, Then confirming the order and send off for it to be water jet cut. Now here it is the 29 th and done ready to ship. Surprising turn around to say the lease. Maybe some day when this engine is built and I am still young enough to set on a this engine, I would love to see how it performs.
But what came of this is a new friendship of the buyer and others. Curtis S Ferrington, Chris Brew and others chime in on this and it took off to a new direction. What if a trailing truck for Allen Models. We or I should say us are looking into the possibility for this. Now most need to know that this takes a special rear section change of frame to do this. Its possible that with the digital file and water jet cutting it can be add or change to a frame for such purpose. One needs to know this is proto-type and may have its kinks. So early to say how well it works out. But I have never heard of a New engine for the first time out for Steam Trials make it without tweaks and adjustments. This is common but time only time will tell when this happens.

Not just me but the special people behind Allen Models are special and knowledgeable, What we don't know, we will fine out and overcome the difficulties to present quality for you the costumer. Thank You for all the sport you give me. I do appreciate these special group of people and wish to have all of you around for a long time to offer more to the hobby.
Steve