Vintage Craftsman Drill Press

For the Buying/Selling/Trading of items of interest to those of us in the Live Steam Hobby.

Moderators: gwrdriver, Harold_V

bobkoiman

Vintage Craftsman Drill Press

Post by bobkoiman »

I just inherited a Vintage Craftsman Drill Press and I am considering selling. How can I determine the value and where is the best place to sell it?
Bob
10KPete

Re: Vintage Craftsman Drill Press

Post by 10KPete »

You should post an intro. first so we know who we're talking to... :D

Picture? I have a couple of oldies (one from the middle '30s) and like them more than the new ones. So in my mind they are quite valuable!

Pete
Just tryin'
Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

Yes, as apete said, pictures are highly desired to help evaluate your DP. Also very helpful topost your location, so other members in your same regions will be able to assist. Prices for machine tools vary quite a bit, depending on what part of the country you live in. Around the Pacific Northwest, Craig’s list tools page is where most people sell their machine tools. As Pete said, old Drill presses are quite prized due to their generally excellent construction. Although, values are often kept low due to the flood of modern day imports. So around here the price range for Deltas and craftsmen, in the 14” model range are generally between $100 and $250, even in nice condition.

Glenn
Moderator - Grand Scale Forum

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

Ahaha, Retirement: the good life - drifting endlessly on a Sea of projects....
10KPete

Post by 10KPete »

Yep, folks think the old is no good and the new is best. Very ignorant! With the old machines there is enough material and correct design to allow one to re-build to new. The new one's hardly have enough material there to hold them together!!!

Cheers!

Pete
Just tryin'
Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

Pete, agreed ! I worked my up to a 1939 Delta 14” DP. ( Model number DP-220) Bought it two years ago from an old timer, retire Boeing engineer. When I put my indicator on the chuck, turned with less than a thou runout. It was pristine when I got it for a hundred bucks. Even has the original water decal from the hardware store where it was purchased new- and the original red owners Manuel. Alas I use it all the time and now it’s schuffed and a bit dirty from the shop. Horrors, time to clean and polish, again! Actually do that 2 or 3 x a year. Wouldn’t trade it for anything.

Glenn
Moderator - Grand Scale Forum

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

Ahaha, Retirement: the good life - drifting endlessly on a Sea of projects....
Mr Ron

Post by Mr Ron »

Glenn Brooks wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:11 am Pete, agreed ! I worked my up to a 1939 Delta 14” DP. ( Model number DP-220) Bought it two years ago from an old timer, retire Boeing engineer. When I put my indicator on the chuck, turned with less than a thou runout. It was pristine when I got it for a hundred bucks. Even has the original water decal from the hardware store where it was purchased new- and the original red owners Manuel. Alas I use it all the time and now it’s schuffed and a bit dirty from the shop. Horrors, time to clean and polish, again! Actually do that 2 or 3 x a year. Wouldn’t trade it for anything.

Glenn
I can do you one better. I have the same DP (floor model) but I got it for free. It is still in near perfect condition and is probably the most used tool in my shop. I have a cheapo keyless chuck on it, but some day I hope to get an Albrecht. The original Jacobs chuck is doing service with a new arbor on my lathe. There is only one way I would ever part with any of my old tools and that is death.
Mr.Ron from South Mississippi
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

"Vintage" just means "used." People sell things that are five years old and call them "vintage." If it's made in China, it's not going to bring much.

You can check sold listings on Ebay to get an idea what it's worth. Don't check "completed" listings. Check "sold."
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
spro

Post by spro »

How do we get roped up in this stuff? The person just wants to Sell it and doesn't even have the courtesy to place it in the right category. We can talk drill presses at length. Live Steam is like the first thing he/she saw.
I thought,.. oh screw it.
Last edited by spro on Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
NP317

Post by NP317 »

spro:
People just do the best they know how to do.
Patience, Grasshopper...
~RN
spro

Post by spro »

Okay then, RN. Perhaps we get a better description and one of us knows what it is.
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

I would have taken my dad's 1960's Craftsman drill press, but I already had a South Bend.

We ended up selling it for $200 including a set each of fractional, number and letter drills.

Steve