New Books On Sir Arthur Heywood's Railways

For the Buying/Selling/Trading of items of interest to those of us in the Live Steam Hobby.

Moderators: gwrdriver, Harold_V

Erskine Tramway

New Books On Sir Arthur Heywood's Railways

Post by Erskine Tramway »

Hi Folks...

It's been my pleasure to make the drawings for this new pair of books. The first volume, on the Duffield Bank and Dove Leys Railways, will be out later this month, here is a picture of the cover.
AH Vol 1 wrapper 01.pdf
(316.7 KiB) Downloaded 322 times
The second volume, on the Eaton Railway, will be out about this time next year.

I'm told that the price will be £47.50, and will be available from the Publisher, RCL Publications, and Camden Miniature Steam Services https://www.camdenmin.co.uk/

I hope you will enjoy them.

Mike
Former Locomotive Engineer and Designer, Sandley Light Railway Equipment Works, Inc. and Riverside & Great Northern Railway 1962-77
BN RR Locomotive Engineer 1977-2014, Retired
Glenn Brooks

Re: New Books On Sir Arthur Heywood's Railways

Post by Glenn Brooks »

Mike, looks very interesting! can you say how many of the drawings relate to 4 wheel boogies, rather than the two wheel carts? I’ve been searching for drawings of early style 4 wheeled passenger cars in 15” gauge.

Thanks,
Glenn
Moderator - Grand Scale Forum

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

Ahaha, Retirement: the good life - drifting endlessly on a Sea of projects....
Erskine Tramway

Glenn Brooks wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 1:37 pm Mike, looks very interesting! can you say how many of the drawings relate to 4 wheel boogies, rather than the two wheel carts? I’ve been searching for drawings of early style 4 wheeled passenger cars in 15” gauge.

Thanks,
Glenn
Hi Glenn...

There is a whole page of details of the several styles of bogie Sir Arthur used over the years. There are 9 different bogie cars; the Workman's Coach, the Closed Saloon, the Parcels Van, the Open Coaches, The Diner, the Sleeper, a 'drop side' Gondola, a low side Gondola, and the Saloon that was completed at Ravenglass after Sir Arthur's death. Cars that require more details have two, or more, pages. Most of them will be printed at 1:32 scale, with some detail drawings at 1:24 scale. The outline drawing of the Saloon is at the end of the train in the cover artwork in the .pdf above. The book will be in Landscape format, about 11-1/8' by 8-5/8".

Mike

PS...All of the Early Bassett-Lowke 15" gauge cars were four-wheeled. There is a drawing of one of them in Milner's book "Rails Through the Sand", about the Fairbourne Railway.
Former Locomotive Engineer and Designer, Sandley Light Railway Equipment Works, Inc. and Riverside & Great Northern Railway 1962-77
Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

Thanks Mike

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

Erskine Tramway

Hi Folks...

I've just learned that Roy has the book listed at a pre-publication discount. https://narrowgaugeandindustrial.co.uk/

Mike
Harlock

Post by Harlock »

Very interesting. I have a growing collection of books about UK minimum gauge railways and may have to add this set to it.
Live Steam Photography and more - gallery.mikemassee.com
Product Development and E-Commerce, Allen Models of Nevada
LVRR2095

Post by LVRR2095 »

My copy of The Railways of Sir Arthur Percival Heywood by James Waterfield just arrived yesterday.
It is absolutely beautiful. The photo reproduction is top shelf and many of the photos have not been previously published.
It is a major accomplishment in the history of Minimum Gauge Railways and should be on any serious enthusiast’s book shelf.
I foresee many happy hours ahead!

Keith Taylor
Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

Just ordered a copy. Looking forward to some interesting reading!