Miniature Universal Joints

For the Buying/Selling/Trading of items of interest to those of us in the Live Steam Hobby.

Moderators: gwrdriver, Harold_V

Dick_Morris

Miniature Universal Joints

Post by Dick_Morris »

I made up some extra U-joints for sale. They are based on a Nathan size #1, but reproduced at 1/6, 1/5, and 1/4 scale. They are offered as a kit of parts. The information mentioned below shows actual measurements and gives an idea of what size is appropriate for various accessories. The #00 and #0 are probably more size appropriate for a 1.5/1.6 scale locomotive. The #0 and #1 are probably better suited to a 1/5 scale locomotive.

Cost is $17.50 per U-joint, any size, plus $10 shipping.

This may be the only run I do of these - I have other projects I need to work on.

They will be sold through the Engine 557 Restoration Company and except for the actual postage fees, 100% of the earnings will go to the operational restoration of Alaska Railroad #557.

If interested, send me a PM or to rmorris@alaska.net with your email address and I will send information on the U-joints including construction notes.
Attachments
U-joints.jpg
Berkman

Re: Miniature Universal Joints

Post by Berkman »

what size rod do you recommend with them? I'm guessing a solder connection on the control rod?
Pennsy fan

Post by Pennsy fan »

Just got them, if you have any idea you’re going to use something like this you better get them now. These came out really nice.
And the best part your money goes towards the restoration of the Steam engine in full.
Thanks to Dick for making is available.
squirrel22

Post by squirrel22 »

Hello Dick, Tom Hiltner here, I want to purchase 4 each of the small and medium size joint kits. Please let me know total with shipping and I will send payment. Best regards, Tom
Dick_Morris

Post by Dick_Morris »

Pennsy Fan - Thanks. I'm glad you like them.

Tom - The info on ordering and payment is is the notes I sent. If you didn't get it let me know.

Berkman - The #0 seems to be about the right size for a Superscale Chicago injector. It uses a #2 thread on the valve, so that's what I'll be using on mine.

Demand was higher than I expected and I ran out of bolts for the #0 and #00 sizes. I ordered more last Friday. I'll be casting more parts some time this week to make sure I have enough, so for the short term they should be readily available and I will be able to send more out around the end of next week.
squirrel22

Post by squirrel22 »

Hello Dick, I don't have your address to send payment to. Please let me know. Best regards, Tom
Dick_Morris

Post by Dick_Morris »

Tom - I just re-sent the notes with the payment information to your email address.
daves1459

Post by daves1459 »

Hello Dick, I sent a PM four days ago. Did you receive it? I'd like six sets of the smallest or middle size depending upon size and shaft size.

Thanks, Dave
Dick_Morris

Post by Dick_Morris »

Dave,

I wrote a PM reply but it apparently disappeared on the Interweb, probably operator error.

As to rod size, for the #0 for my Superscale Chicago injectors I'm using #2 unthreaded rod. I have some and it's pretty close to 1/8 scale for the 3/4" rods used on the injectors on ARR-556. It's .086". 3/32" would be the scale dimension, but a bit large for the #2 die.

Send me your email address and I sent you the notes with the ordering and payment information.
Last edited by Dick_Morris on Thu Aug 12, 2021 4:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
daves1459

Post by daves1459 »

Dick_Morris wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 4:55 pm Dave,

I wrote a PM reply but it apparently disappeared on the Interweb, probably operator error.

As to rod size, for the #00 for my Superscale Chicago injectors I'm using #2 unthreaded rod. I have some and it's pretty close to 1/8 scale for the 3/4" rods used on the injectors on ARR-556. It's .086". 3/32" would be the scale dimension, but a bit large for the #2 die.

Send me your email address and I sent you the notes with the ordering and payment information.
Thanks Dick, I just now sent PM with Email address. You should have it instantly.

Dave
Dick_Morris

Post by Dick_Morris »

A quick response by Godshall's and I received #0 bolts today so will be able to send out more #0 injectors in a couple of days.
Dick_Morris

Post by Dick_Morris »

Thanks to everyone for your interest. It's helped to put some funds into the Alaska Railroad #557 restoration project. I will continue to make these kits available for a while. I've done some more casting and have the #00 and #0 size ready to go and have the molds burning out tonight to cast more of the #1 size tomorrow. Send your email address via a PM or email to the address in the first post and I'll send you the information on the u-joints, construction notes, and ordering information.