Wanted: Power Model Economy Truck

For the Buying/Selling/Trading of items of interest to those of us in the Live Steam Hobby.

Moderators: gwrdriver, Harold_V

Pontiacguy1

Wanted: Power Model Economy Truck

Post by Pontiacguy1 »

I am in need of a side frame casting for the old Power Model Supply economy truck. I have a pair that I've had operating for many years, but one side frame got some grit in it or something and ate the casting out pretty bad. These are plain bearing. In fact, the bearing was simply a hole drilled in the cast iron side frame where the axle ran. Lasted a long time with just a few drops of oil in it occasionally. The original truck kit consisted of only 4 side frame castings, 8 wheel castings, 8 springs, and a couple of copy pages of drawings.

I would buy the whole kit if you have one, or just one side frame, or parts and pieces, a broken truck, etc... Let me know what you have. I know somebody has to have a set of these laying around under their bench or something.

Attached is a picture of what the finished truck looks like. It's pretty grimy, but you can hopefully see what the casting looks like.

Thanks.
20220503_061738b.jpg
Andy R

Re: Power Model Economy Truck

Post by Andy R »

Have you considered filling the hole (using epoxy to avoid welding) and then boring it and inserting a sleeve bearing?
Pontiacguy1

Re: Wanted: Power Model Economy Truck

Post by Pontiacguy1 »

I've also considered boring it oversize and putting some ball bearings in it. The one that is messed up is pretty messed up. I could possibly fix it, but since this goes on a riding car, i'd like to have the full strength casting to do the job. If I got another complete set of castings, I would probably machine them, along with the 'bad' side frame, to use under my son's non-rideable and very short caboose. Wouldn't be too worried about breaking them there.
SteveR

Post by SteveR »

Heat it up with a torch, weld it up with a high nickel rod (MMC 7973A612), let it cool down slowly and then remachine it.
Done.
SteveR
12x36 Enco Lathe, 9x42 Bridgeport, SMAW, O/A, Miller MIG w/gas, plasma
Not enough measuring tools...
1.5" Allen Models Consolidation on air.
1" FEF in progress
1" & 3/4" LE Projects
I'm thankful that metal is recyclable....
Pontiacguy1

Post by Pontiacguy1 »

This one is jacked up pretty bad. It almost looks like you did this with an end mill, but I assure you it was not. I plan on fixing and re-using this side frame, but I'm not going to re-use it under one of my main riding cars.

Does anyone have a casting or castings for this type of truck? I know they haven't been available in 20+ years, but I figure someone on here will be able to find it if any still exists.
20220504_200138b.jpg
ccvstmr

Post by ccvstmr »

Would think you can "save" that side frame. Consider cleaning the hole well (acetone, brake cleaner) and flood the hole/slot with JB Weld? If you're considering using a bearing, the JBW should provide enough support for a bearing having a larger diameter. Once cured, the JBW machines well...although it will stink a bit during machining.

If you're concerned about the trucks under a riding car...cut back on the number of seats on that car..to reduce the load.

Carl B.
Life is like a sewer...what you get out of it depends on what you put into it!
I don't walk on water...I just learned where some of the stepping stones are!
I love mankind...it's some of the people I can't stand!
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

open the hole up ON DESIRED center, using a boring bar -> slowly....

Press in a bushing

fill the void with some epoxy or stuff

it will be ok
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
Pontiacguy1

Post by Pontiacguy1 »

That's what I am GOING to do for this side frame. I am going to fix it and re-use it, period. I plan to use this truck under my Son's caboose, which will weigh a grand total of about 80-90 pounds when done. These are also shorter length trucks, which is a good thing when you have a very short caboose.

What I want to know is: Does anyone have another set of them laying around that they want to sell. That's the whole point of this thread.

I may just end up having to get a different type/style of trucks for the gondola if no one has any of these castings.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

:D
got it...finally
Too many things going on to bother listing them.