Sneedy bypass valves

For the Buying/Selling/Trading of items of interest to those of us in the Live Steam Hobby.

Moderators: gwrdriver, Harold_V

Andypullen

Sneedy bypass valves

Post by Andypullen »

Good afternoon Everybody!

Here's another item that I'm making available. It's an item that was supplied as original equipment with the Ma&Pa heavy 2-8-0s as they came from BLW.

If you look at the photo of #41 here; you can see the 3 lobed cover between the valve head and the main cylinder head. There's 1 on each end of the cylinder casting....for a total of 4. Currently, I only have the flat covers. I'm assuming that these are for removed valve assemblies. The ones with the actual valves inside has top hat shaped covers with a tube connecting each end with a Tee fitting in the middle connected to the branch pipe. That would be relatively easy to simulate with tiny tubing I would think.
MaPa41 switching.jpg
Here is what I made for my locomotive cylinders:
Sneedy bypass valve1.jpg
I was originally going to make them from iron bar and machine them out of solid. But, lost wax casting makes such nice parts; I went that route. Here are the castings. My cylinders are Little Engines Pacific cylinders. The castings are attached with #10 socket head capscrews. The covers are bits of stainless sheet attached with #2-56 screws and nuts. The screws are loctited into the threads in the castings.
Sneedy bypass valve5.jpg
These castings have a an 11/32" square x .075" tall milled onto the back side. I machined .093" deep square pockets into my cylinder castings when I machined them a number of years ago. If you need a flat back on the casting; I can easily cut the square off.

I'm asking $150 for a set of 4. If you want the ones with the top hat shaped covers, those are $175 for a set. I'll include the hardware to assemble these, but you supply the #10 mounting bolts.

Thank you for looking!

Andy Pullen
Clausing 10x24, Sheldon 12" shaper, ProtoTrak AGE-2 control cnc on a BP clone, Reed Prentice 14" x 30", Sanford MG 610 surface grinder, Kalamazoo 610 bandsaw, Hardinge HSL speed lathe, Hardinge HC chucker, Kearney and Trecker #2K plain horizontal mill, Haas TL-1 lathe.
JohnHudak

Re: Sneedy bypass valves

Post by JohnHudak »

those look great Andy..!
Andypullen

Post by Andypullen »

JohnHudak wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 8:05 am those look great Andy..!
Thanks John!
Clausing 10x24, Sheldon 12" shaper, ProtoTrak AGE-2 control cnc on a BP clone, Reed Prentice 14" x 30", Sanford MG 610 surface grinder, Kalamazoo 610 bandsaw, Hardinge HSL speed lathe, Hardinge HC chucker, Kearney and Trecker #2K plain horizontal mill, Haas TL-1 lathe.
Brian Hilgert

Post by Brian Hilgert »

So…..are you building a Ma & Pa heavy consolidation? Definitely in my top 5!
Andypullen

Post by Andypullen »

Brian Hilgert wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 6:29 pm So…..are you building a Ma & Pa heavy consolidation? Definitely in my top 5!
Hey Brian,

Yes, I’m building one. I have a good number of parts made for it. But, it keeps getting sidetracked by paying jobs.

Andy