3/4" un-machined cast iron truck kits

For the Buying/Selling/Trading of items of interest to those of us in the Live Steam Hobby.

Moderators: gwrdriver, Harold_V

abrams464

3/4" un-machined cast iron truck kits

Post by abrams464 »

3/4" un-machined cast iron kits $100.00 each + $15.00 postage to lower 48
Each kit includes:
4 side frames
2 bolsters
8 wheels
1 set of prints
feel free to email me at abrams464 @ yahoo.com or pm me.

This is the perfect first live steam project or a very easy kit for the experienced live steamer who needs more trucks. We do not offer any machining services for this kit nor can kits be pieced out.
Jim
Attachments
AL8W0784_00.jpg
AL8W0785_00.jpg
AL8W0792_01.jpg
JN2V6464_100dpi.jpg
AL8W0794_00.jpg
Last edited by abrams464 on Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Caribou Doug

Re: 3/4" un-machined cast iron kits

Post by Caribou Doug »

Trucks look great!! Nice to see more in 3/4 scale. What is delivery time on a set?

Doug
abrams464

Re: 3/4" un-machined cast iron truck kits

Post by abrams464 »

Hi Doug,
I have 10 sets ready to ship today. They will be shipped in the flat rate box, so 3-4 days. If you wanted more then 1 set, I think you could fit up to 4 sets in 1 box for the $15.00 (lower 48)
Jim
Caribou Doug

Post by Caribou Doug »

Thanks for the info Jim... I am currently covered up in a rebuild of an 1.5 scale LE 4-4-0 American rebuild but have been looking for 3/4 scale trucks for several years. I was lucky enough to be friends with a member of NOELS (Ohio) and was given the opporunity to purchase a 080 Caribou in 3/4 scale. I have had very little time to devote to the hobby in the past but haved vowed to join that group and get her under steam again by April. I am certainly in need of a set of trucks sometime soon to put together several riding cars but got side tracked by the American which I hope to have finished for my recently retired father. He has always wanted an American but had to push his wants aside for needs of our family. I will keep your contact information and hopefully get a set or two on order sometime toward April. Again great to see more 3/4 scale equipment on the market.

Best,

Doug
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

The kit includes all the parts for a pair of trucks as shown in the top picture?

Reeves charges more than that for just one pair of side frames,

You mention that you can use roller bearings. Do you have a source and / or part number for an appropriate roller bearing?

Steve
abrams464

Post by abrams464 »

Yes, all the parts in the top photo 4 side frames, 2 bolsters, 8 wheels and a set prints. I do have the bearing part #. I get them from Boca bearing in FL. I put 2 bearings per wheel, 4 per axle.
Joe Tanski

Post by Joe Tanski »

In need of 16 cast iron wheels -what diameter are your wheels & what is the casting cost
Joe Tanski
Tanski Model Engineering
John McKnight

Post by John McKnight »

Very timely offering. I am interested!!!! In the picture of the finished set, what is the wheel tread diameter?? What is the ID of the bearings or bronze bushings?

John McKnight, San Diego.
abrams464

Post by abrams464 »

Joe, I will have to ask my foundry if they will just cast the wheels. What you see in the picture is what is on the pattern board. 4 side frames, 2 bolsters 8 wheels. You could also make some very nice wheels using durabar.

John McKnight, At this time I only have un-machined kits. I just took the picture of the cast iron un-machined trucks the other day. The picture of the finished set was taken many years ago and they go to my riding car.

The wheel diameter is 2"-3/16"

I bought my last set of bearings from
http://www.bocabearings.com
the part # is R1038-ZZ .375 x .6250 x .156 They sometimes have them on sale, however they are a little pricy. If you do a little looking around I am sure you can find the same thing for less. Hope this info helps!
Attachments
wheel.jpg
Last edited by abrams464 on Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
John McKnight

Post by John McKnight »

Thanks for your fast reply. Not to beat it to death but, Is the finished wheel diameter supossed to be
2.187 or is that the outside diameter of the rough casting?

John McKnight
abrams464

Post by abrams464 »

Finished is 2.187 Check out the print above.
jschoenly

Post by jschoenly »

I bought a few sets of trucks for some robust riding car trucks (not sure on the car types exactly yet, but scale cars to ride). Jim was a pleasure to deal with and very quick in response. Sent them out next day and i got them safely 2 days later!

Castings look to be excellent quality. They have good surface finish and nice simple detail for a strong truck. I haven't cut metal and won't for a little while, but the quality looks good!

I also ordered some of the bearings he mentioned at the following site: http://www.vxb.com/page/bearings/PROD/R1038ZZ

Seemed cheap enough to give a try, so I went for them. Again quality looks good and delivery was just as fast as Jim. Now i need to get off my butt and hit the shop!
Jared Schoenly

Cabin Fever Expo
Model Engineering of all sorts.....