What should i do to start restoration

This forum is for Internal Combustion Engines such as Hit 'n Miss, Throttle Goverened One Lungers etc. Repair, Machining, Operation, Buy/Sell/Trade of these engines are all topical.

Moderator: Harold_V

versatile

What should i do to start restoration

Post by versatile »

I have an old single cylinder stationary engine. Twin flywheels etc and water resivoir to cool it. No idea what brand. Rusted up and froze up from sitting outside for 35 plus years. How do i start? Should i soak the whole thing in something or what should i do?
CD_Smith

Re: What should i do to start restoration

Post by CD_Smith »

I soaked mine in liquid wrench for about a month and then slowly started twisting the nuts and bolts. Complete success. No broken bolts. I used about two quarts of liquid wrench. The piston took the most effort and I did break one of the rings or it may have already been cracked. I drove the piston out with a four pound hammer and lots of 2x4's and liquid wrench. It took me about one week to get the piston out. For a replacement ring I discovered that Detroit Diesel 1200 hp engines had the same bore as my engine but the rings were half as thick therefore I placed two rings in the same slot. I still need to grind the valves but as it sits the compression is not great but ok.
steamin10

Re: What should i do to start restoration

Post by steamin10 »

I use diesel fuel to soak into long rusted parts, it penetrates well by itself. A few little taps on the bolts and covers and joints, will help loosen the joints. Use a small sledge 2-3 lb to gently rap on the pieces without breakage. These soundings will loosen most anything.
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.