buying engines

This forum is for Internal Combustion Engines such as Hit 'n Miss, Throttle Goverened One Lungers etc. Repair, Machining, Operation, Buy/Sell/Trade of these engines are all topical.

Moderator: Harold_V

newguy

buying engines

Post by newguy »

I would like to get started in the antique engine arena. Would like to buy some small engines to start. Where can I buy engines? I live in upstate NY hoe much do engines cost?
Harold_V

Re: buying engines

Post by Harold_V »

There's no magic information for finding these old engines. Ask around everywhere you go is a good way to start. I turned up a 1909 Case 60 horse traction engine that way, when I stopped at a store to buy a 4 pack of wine coolers.

If there's any old time threshing and tractor pulls done in your area, attend the meetings. That's usually where collectors of old engines congregate. Once you're in touch with them, you'll likely find all kinds of engines for sale. Here in the West, there's an association, EDGE&TA, a gathering of collectors. That stands for Early Day Gas Engine and Tractor Association. You might ask about that in your area, or even check Google. Dunno, never tried that.

Cost? That's pretty much like asking how big's a rock? You can expect to pay as little as $50 for an engine with little appeal, and not very old, or thousands of dollars, depending on the size, rarity and desirability of the engine in question.

Years ago I found a guy with three engines sitting in front on his house in rural Montana. After some negotiating, I managed to purchase everything he had for $400. Included was an early Novo 3 horse (one of the round ones, not the later square type) with a pump. It was an excellent buy, even for the time.

The best thing you can do is talk it up with strangers--the most unlikely person is likely to yield success. Remember the Case I mentioned? It was a lady clerk that turned me on to it.

Good luck searching. Let us know how you do.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
Orrin

Post by Orrin »

I suggest you start by mixing and mingling within the antique engine community. Attend shows and swap meets. the 2005 season is about over, but for next year I heartily recommend purchasing the Farm Collector Show Directory:

www.FarmCollectorShowDirectory.com

Then, keep your eye on this site for engines for sale:

http://www.enginads.com/bigengin.cgi

Then, subscribe to Gas Engine Magazine:

http://www.gasenginemagazine.com/

Then, sign up with the ATIS stationary engine mailig list (listserv):

http://www.atis.net/

or,

http://www.atis.net/tractor_sub_form.shtml

Click on "Stationary-engine subscribers click here"

This should get you started.

Best regards,

Orrin
So many projects, so little time.
Steamin

You just missed the Western NY show

Post by Steamin »

If you live in western NY, you just missed the "Western New York Gas and Steam Engine Association" annual show. www.alexandersteamshow.com This, like many shows and swap meet, is a great place to see whats out there, make contact with fellow old engine enthuisists (sp?) and maybe find an engine. The show is in Alexander, NY.

I don't live near there anymore, and I sure miss going to this annual event.

Hope this helps your search...
ronm

Post by ronm »

Harold_V wrote: I turned up a 1909 Case 60 horse traction engine that way, when I stopped at a store to buy a 4 pack of wine coolers.
So Harold, what's the rest of the story? Did you get the Case? Still have it?
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Yep, got the Case ($500), but it was a sorry lot. The entire thing had been dismantled and placed near a river in Montrose, Colorado, on a bend, and had been on the ground for more than 35 years, according to the owner. The rear wheels, where they were in contact with the ground, had rusted away completely, although they were restored by Neil Davis, the guy that ended up with the engine. More on that below.

Some of the gears had fallen into the river, but all but one were retrieved. We never found the one missing gear. The front end, along with all the brass, was missing and never located.

I kept it for a couple years, but knew I'd never get to it, particularly when we bought property in Washington and planned to move eventually, so it was sold to my fellow EDGE&TA club member, Neil Davis, (in Utah) for the same amount we had invested in buying and hauling it home. Neil, at last report, had it up and running with a borrowed front end and lots of rebuilding. I've never seen it since the day it was hauled off our land. We moved not too long after Neil bought it. This all took place in the early 90's.

Harold
ronm

Post by ronm »

Glad to hear it was savable. I wonder how many fine old engines, tractors, cars, etc. have been used for rip-rap in river banks...I guess priorities change over the years, huh? My buddy & I found a boiler that we though was a little Case, maybe 15 horse, hanging off the bank of the Colorado. Far as I know, it's still there...we wondered how the hell they got it there in the first place. We've heard of a steam engine on an island in the same area, but the landowners are reluctant to let us go look. The lady said she didn't want us to "collect" it-like we were gonna pack it off in our pockets...this thing is reported to have 6 foot flywheels! I'm gonna try again before the river gets high this spring, maybe we'll at least get some pics...
PS-did you live in Montrose? I'm actually about 60mi. from there, Fruita...
Ron in CO...
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

ronm wrote:Glad to hear it was savable. I wonder how many fine old engines, tractors, cars, etc. have been used for rip-rap in river banks...
I'm of the opinion it wasn't intended to be rip-rap in this case, but the river had slowly eroded the bank due to a turn, so the pieces closest to the edge eventually fell in the water. Sad, regardless of the reason.
The lady said she didn't want us to "collect" it-like we were gonna pack it off in our pockets...this thing is reported to have 6 foot flywheels! I'm gonna try again before the river gets high this spring, maybe we'll at least get some pics...
It's a strange world, with some folks enjoying a dog-in-the-manger attitude. They'd rather see something waste away than see others benefit by owning it. The best you could hope for in a situation like that is for their heirs to have better sense.

Luck with the venture! Be sure to share the pics if you're fortunate enough to get them.
PS-did you live in Montrose? I'm actually about 60mi. from there, Fruita...
Ron in CO...
No, never have lived in Colorado, but my sister lives in Delta. She married a guy from Paonia. I recall he's mentioned Fruita on many occasions. His father was a sheep rancher, so I wonder if they may have run sheep there years ago.

There's a guy outside of Delta that has a very nice collection of H&M engines, named Max Speers if I remember correctly. Could be he was in Olathe. It's been years since I saw him last.

I've spent a little time traveling the state, not only looking for mechanical things, but also years ago (early 70's) when I was an insulator collector. There was an insulator manufacturer in the general Denver area years ago, so Colorado was the source of some nice collectible insulators.

I was born and raised in Utah, moved to Washington in '96 after I retired.

Harold
ronm

Post by ronm »

[quote=

There's a guy outside of Delta that has a very nice collection of H&M engines, named Max Speers if I remember correctly. Could be he was in Olathe. It's been years since I saw him last. Harold[/quote]

Ha! Amazing! I know Max well, his place is the site of one of our club's shows every year. Actually, he pretty much started the club, after running his show on his own for several years. Western Slope Antique Power. We have a show at Roberts Farms in Mack, also. Chuck Roberts & I went to Max's show one year, & I came away w/the engine bug....The club has no internet presence yet, that's something I'd like to promote, but I'll try to post some pics I have of Max's show. He has lots of engines,a couple steam engines, & the steam-driven compressors from the old Holly Sugar plant in Delta.
Later- Ron.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Chuckle!

Small world!

I remember Max showed us ( Susan, my wife, and me) his vertical Stover when we met him. This had to be in the late 80's, at which point there was nothing going on in the way of a club, but he talked about having his own museum. I'm not sure I've ever met anyone that was so dedicated.

We used to get a Christmas card from him, but we slowly drifted apart. I'm not sure when we lost track of him, but it may have been when we moved. Next time you see him, tell him (and his wife) Hello from Harold and Susan Vordos. He may best remember us as having lived in Utah.

Harold
ronm

Post by ronm »

Small world for sure...I will tell Max hi when I see him, which will be at the club meeting in a couple weeks. Funny, I was thinking of that big Stover when I woke up this morning, was it all restored when you saw it? I think that was the one that kinda gave him the bug, he found it on an island in the river-to relate to the original thread, which we seem to have sorta highjacked...sorry, newguy...
BTW, Harold, what's the name of the Paonia family your sister married into? I've known a few of those sheep guys too...Greek, possibly?
I'll still try to get some pics on here...
Ron in CO...
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Small world for sure...I will tell Max hi when I see him, which will be at the club meeting in a couple weeks.
I'd be most grateful.
ronm wrote:Funny, I was thinking of that big Stover when I woke up this morning, was it all restored when you saw it? I think that was the one that kinda gave him the bug, he found it on an island in the river-to relate to the original thread, which we seem to have sorta highjacked...sorry, newguy...
Indeed it was restored, and ran beautifully. Made the occasional smoke ring. I recall he mentioned floating across the river on an inner tube, or some such. Fact is, he got me interested, too, so later on we located a few engines in Montana, which I bought. One of them was an early 3 horse Novo (vertical) with a pump. Real cool looking engine. Long gone now, left behind like the Case when we moved. I also had a 2-3/4 horse Economy (horizontal).
BTW, Harold, what's the name of the Paonia family your sister married into? I've known a few of those sheep guys too...Greek, possibly?
Yep. Greek. Cholas. The oldest son, by a first marriage, is named Donald. There are others, Mary, Anita, Dan and George. My sister married Dan. Steve, the father, died not too long after they got married, from cancer. This goes back to the 60's. Mrs. Cholas is still living, although in poor health. By the time I met them, they were no longer raising sheep.
I'll still try to get some pics on here...
Ron in CO...
Please do!

Harold