Looking for cylinder sleeve source.

This forum is for Internal Combustion Engines such as Hit 'n Miss, Throttle Goverened One Lungers etc. Repair, Machining, Operation, Buy/Sell/Trade of these engines are all topical.

Moderator: Harold_V

millman5

Looking for cylinder sleeve source.

Post by millman5 »

Looking for a cylinder repair sleeve for a 6" bore X 13" long bore. Needed to repair a hit & miss
If it works Don't fix it....
pockets

Post by pockets »

Millman,
Have you tried a good bearing supply house? Cast iron bearing stock is sometimes available in that length and diameter.

Greg B.
When the man at the door said, "Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms," I naturally assumed it was a delivery.....

"From my cold, dead hand!" C. Heston
millman5

Post by millman5 »

pockets wrote:Millman,
Have you tried a good bearing supply house? Cast iron bearing stock is sometimes available in that length and diameter.

Greg B.
Thanks for the tip. Actually this is for a friend of mine that has restored several smaller hit n miss engines. I have bored & fit sleeves to 4 or 5 of his restorations. They have all been small enough to use a universal automotive repair sleeve. Just had no idea where to look.

I'll pass the info on.
millman5

Follow up on large cylinder sleeve

Post by millman5 »

The gentleman I repaired this for brought in a piece of steel tubing with the ID pre finished. It was a piece of Hydraulic Cylinder stock.

I had to chuck it in a lathe & hog a bunch off the OD of the steel tubing to get the wall thickness thin enough.

I then bored the block for a slight press fit, leaving a ridge at the bottom of the bore for the new sleve to seat on.

I questioned the use of steel for the bore. He has since ran it at a couple shows & seems to be doing fine.

The steel was cheap $85.00 compaired to cast products he could find. As I remember several hundred for the cast.
steamin10

sleeve

Post by steamin10 »

Not to be the expert here, because I have not done this, but beyond the obvious engine sleeves, another source is available. Cast iron sewer pipe has been successfully used for many steam engine liners, If the exact size is not available, then the closest is machined up and a new cast piston fitted. I see there may be a problem with fitting a gas engine piston, but casting one in coremold material from aluminum scrap pistons should not be beyond a home shop with minimum machine abilities. Piston rings for larger engines have been made from various sizes of sewer pipe, Hesston needed rings for its Corless engine, that was taken from a piece of 36" sewer pipe from Chicago. It can be done.

Modern auomotive pistons have reinforcing webs, and ring seal backers cast into the bare slug, that can be ignored for all parctical purposes for low rpm gas and steam engines, the material in scrap pistons being the best in kind for the use.
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.
millman5

Re: sleeve

Post by millman5 »

steamin10 wrote:
Modern auomotive pistons have reinforcing webs, and ring seal backers cast into the bare slug, that can be ignored for all parctical purposes for low rpm gas and steam engines, the material in scrap pistons being the best in kind for the use.
I'm certainly no expert on these Hit N Miss engines myself. All the pistons my friend has brought by here are cast iron. Unlike modern cast alum. pistons which are oval shaped at the skirt. The cast iron pistons are round with the ring lands slightly smaller diameter as one would expect.
steamin10

piston tinning

Post by steamin10 »

I had rebuilt a Wakesha 4 cyl Engine with longish pistons of cast iron, that run in a cast iron bore. Repacement pistons were tinned more than half way up to prevent scoring of similar metals when in use. In reading for the rebuild it seems than tinning was the norm for such engines, and reusing the pistons meant they had to be retinned in the job shop. I wonder if you had read anything comparable in the hit and miss world.
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.
spro

sleeve

Post by spro »

I checked some old T-20 crawler jugs and they are only about 4 x10. There is a type of pipe i have some sections of but I'll check it tomorrow. It has that webby outside look as I recall sced something high. I thought you WV's had all your pipe laying out on the front porch- that's right intead of tractors and babes' toys. We in the eastern have pipes drilled drilled right up our azzes for taxes and no toys or pipes to "clutter" anybody's visual process.
Orrin

Post by Orrin »

Do a "Google" search for "Los Angeles Sleeve." If that doesn't work, try LA Sleeve.

www.google.com

Orrin
So many projects, so little time.
FLtenwheeler

Post by FLtenwheeler »

http://www.lasleeve.com

I have used them many years ago. They will make custom sleeves.

Tim
He who dies with the most unfinished projects: Should of put more time into their hobby.