New to Steam: Is this the place?

This forum is for Internal Combustion Engines such as Hit 'n Miss, Throttle Goverened One Lungers etc. Repair, Machining, Operation, Buy/Sell/Trade of these engines are all topical.

Moderator: Harold_V

seal killer

New to Steam: Is this the place?

Post by seal killer »

All--

I have belonged to this great site for a while. My interests continue to expand. Now, they have expanded into stationary steam. I have read with interest a lot of the acrimony present on the "Live Steam" forum and want to make sure I am posting on the correct forum.

My first steam engine is in the near future. It will be the "Minikin" from Steam and Stirling. Dirt-simple for everyone but me.

Is this the correct forum to ask questions about such steam engines? Is this the correct forum to ask REALLY dirt-simple questions?

I have no ego and can easily move to the correct forum if this one is not the one. Just tell me.

Thanks!

--Bill
You are what you write.
hitandmissman

Neww to steam:Is this the place

Post by hitandmissman »

I am sure someone on here can answer your questions but for small model engines I prefer
http://www.homemodelenginemachinist.com
Again you may find all your answers here these are a great bunch of people.
hitandmissman
seal killer

Post by seal killer »

hitandmissman--

Thanks for letting me know. I will try here first because I cyber-know many folks on this forum.

I also bookmarked your link!

Thanks.

--Bill
You are what you write.
mlucek

Re: Neww to steam:Is this the place

Post by mlucek »

hitandmissman wrote:I am sure someone on here can answer your questions but for small model engines I prefer www.homemodelenginemachinist.com
Again you may find all your answers here these are a great bunch of people.
Ditto on HMEM forum. Great bunch of folks there building all kinds of little engines. Lots of great pictures, videos, advice and camaraderie. Newbies to the site and to machining are very welcome !!

I've been a member there for 1-1/2 years. Lots of messages every day.

Just an observation on this particular part of this message forum, there appears to be very little traffic here. Many of the recent posts are 6+ mos old.

Mike
seal killer

Post by seal killer »

Mike--

I agree with you, but it is impossible for me to criticize this forum. This forum just does not SEEM to be the place for steam. I look forward to learning enough machining on this forum to be able to ask semi-intelligent questions on Home Model Engine Machinist.

--Bill
You are what you write.
mlucek

Post by mlucek »

seal killer wrote:I agree with you, but it is impossible for me to criticize this forum. This forum just does not SEEM to be the place for steam.
No criticism at all, just an observation. This forum seems to be the place for Live Steam Locomotives.
seal killer wrote:I look forward to learning enough machining on this forum to be able to ask semi-intelligent questions on Home Model Engine Machinist.
There's plenty of folks new to machining on HMEM, so don't feel intimidated at all. :D

There's some good advice posted here on the machining forums too :)

You'll see many of the same folks making the rounds on the various machining forums.

Mike
seal killer

Post by seal killer »

Mike--
You'll see many of the same folks making the rounds on the various machining forums.
You're right. I've already run into a couple of them!

--Bill
You are what you write.
loggerhogger

Re: New to Steam: Is this the place?

Post by loggerhogger »

Another good site is www.smokstak.com.
mklotz

Re: New to Steam: Is this the place?

Post by mklotz »

You may also wish to visit the Model Engine Maker forum...

http://www.modelenginemaker.com/

formed by expats who left HMEM when it went commercial. It's a verrry active site totally focused on building model engines - atmospheric, Stirling, steam and IC.

BTW, Minikin is an awfully small engine for a first build. You may want to consider something a bit larger. There are many starter plans available via MEM.
Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware
http://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz