John Deere hit & miss engine information

This forum is for Internal Combustion Engines such as Hit 'n Miss, Throttle Goverened One Lungers etc. Repair, Machining, Operation, Buy/Sell/Trade of these engines are all topical.

Moderator: Harold_V

Uncle Ethan

John Deere hit & miss engine information

Post by Uncle Ethan »

Ten or fifteen years ago I bought a John Deere popper engine from a friend. It needed the fold out crank handle for the flywheel, an "igniter" [spark plug I suppose], wiring for it, and maybe more. I brought it with me to New Mexico, and the other day I tried to turn over the flywheel and it appears to be frozen. I have some Kroil, would that help free up the piston? I have no idea what these engines are worth, but I was going to get it running and sell it to help pay for another vertical mill. Is there pictures or blueprints available so I make the crank handle correctly? Thanks for the help.
Gizz

Post by Gizz »

It is just a straight smooth shaft that fits in the slot when folded in. The hole in the pin is just a little bigger than the retainer pin. Enough to allow it to flip in and out freely.
The early ones used a low tension mag with an igniter. Later units had a spark plug and used a high tension mag.
If it is the typical 1 1/2 HP engine a new mag almost costs more than the engine is worth. If it is the 3 or 6 HP engine then it is worth fixing perhaps.
Uncle Ethan

Post by Uncle Ethan »

Thanks for the help. Is there a webb site for the John Deere engines that would help me identify which it is? Thanks again.
Gizz

hit n miss size

Post by Gizz »

What diameter are the flywheels?
Uncle Ethan

Re: hit n miss size

Post by Uncle Ethan »

Gizz wrote:What diameter are the flywheels?
Approximately 18"- Where would I look for the magneto"
Gizz

jd hit n miss

Post by Gizz »

Sounds like a 1 1/2 hp unit. I don't know of any specific web site. But do a search on the john deere model e and you will find most any thing you need. Lot of parts available for them. Except magnetos of course. But rebuilt and new imitations are on the market.
Uncle Ethan

Post by Uncle Ethan »

Thanks for the help-I'll check out information now I know what I have. The magneto may be there for all I know. Having a basin cast in for water to cool the head , as well as the gas on the bottom is pretty neat.