Hit Miss Engine

This forum is for Internal Combustion Engines such as Hit 'n Miss, Throttle Goverened One Lungers etc. Repair, Machining, Operation, Buy/Sell/Trade of these engines are all topical.

Moderator: Harold_V

kf4tap

Hit Miss Engine

Post by kf4tap »

After looking at prices of HM engines, I decided I would build one from scratch using salvage parts, and castings from the scrap I have picked up. The cylinder will have to be cast and bored. The piston and rod is a JD E scored off ebay for 10.00 bucks. The timing will be tricky but i think i can pull it off. K.
steamin10

Re: Hit Miss Engine

Post by steamin10 »

Um, there have been some successes using cast iron sewer pipe machined for a liner for an aluminum casting to build with. The fins/ shell /block is cast and rough machined and fitted with a pipe liner, since an iron casting is out of reach of most home guys, one way or another.
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.
kf4tap

Post by kf4tap »

I was using alumna bronze years, ago, I have a small pile of it now. Cast iron pipe seems to be a rarity in my area now, None of the big box stores have it. I suppose I could drive an hour south to B'ham to Mcwanes and maybe buy 1 piece of ductile iron pipe.

But the alumna bronze is really good for pistons and rods, So I'm crossing my fingers it will work for a cylinder.

This week I'll be looking for a piece of wood to turn and use for a pattern for the cylinder. I'll try to do a casting with the fins cast in so I want have to cut them. K.
willy

Post by willy »

Have you thought about getting a piece of mechanical tubing???? You can go to most any metal supplier and get steel tube (pipe) in many common sizes. IE 2inch bore 4 inch od, there are many others, but that gives you a jist of it.
hitandmissman

Post by hitandmissman »

As for the cast iron liner. How about checking a heavy equiptment dealer. When they rebuild big diesels the old liner may still be usable for a hit and miss engine. And they will usally give them away. Also there are the liner distributors. Do an online search and you should find something.
hitandmissman
kf4tap

Post by kf4tap »

To day I started turning a piece of maple that was cut 3 years ago and has been in the cold frame drying, Since it was from a large limb I expect to have some issues with it, but wood filler or bondo can be used to pretty it up before painting and sealing. I expect that with the freebie wood lathe it will take me a few days to get it cut and ready to fill.

Once I figure out how to post pics I'll post some pics as I get through with each step.

Keith.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

kf4tap wrote:Once I figure out how to post pics I'll post some pics as I get through with each step.
If you choose to host the pictures on the Chaski server, it's simple. They are added as an attachment. Follow the instructions at the bottom of the page on which you compose your posts.

If you choose to post a link instead of having the pictures hosted on the board, please make sure that the pictures either do not display automatically, or that they display no larger than 800 pixels in width. Large pictures that are hosted off the Chaski board spread text off the screen, making it difficult for readers to read posts. One oversized picture effects an entire thread, so they are not well received.

Harold
kf4tap

Post by kf4tap »

So a link to flickr would be okay? K.
kf4tap

Post by kf4tap »

Yesterday I was at the local country store getting a drink, and covered in wood shavings, one of the old timers asked me what I was doing? I told him turning a piece of wood on my lathe to use for a pattern for a cylinder jug, So I had to explain the whole project. and that I was scouting some scrap metal. This afternoon I have 2 wash tubs full of of AL castings and a couple of buckets of pot metal. And they are gently pushing me to finish. K.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

kf4tap wrote:So a link to flickr would be okay?
Yes, and if it happens to display too large, I'll alter the link so it must be clicked. That way readers aren't inconvenienced with text spread.

Harold
mrford

Post by mrford »

If you go to a truck shop you could get a piston rings and a cylinder all in one shot you could shrink cooling fins on it or you could cut up an air cooled lawn mower engine .That might save some work.
Nudge

Post by Nudge »

that sounds like quite a god idea :) while you are there get an old engine head and use that to cast all of the other bits.
Just put it on the furnace and tuen up the heat :twisted:
This is my setup, doing just that.