fairbanks 1.5 horsepower

This forum is for Internal Combustion Engines such as Hit 'n Miss, Throttle Goverened One Lungers etc. Repair, Machining, Operation, Buy/Sell/Trade of these engines are all topical.

Moderator: Harold_V

joshuaj97

fairbanks 1.5 horsepower

Post by joshuaj97 »

just purchased this Z 1.5 horsepower doesnt run just yet, it came with what i was told is a model T ignition coil, has no wiring or anything, i understand the pushrog is basically a breaker point in this ignition system but it isnt making sense to me on the timing on when it should be firing, is it when the pushrod returnes to the bases or when it leaves the base. it was apart when i got it the cam timing was off, i lined it up with a notch on the small gear to in between 2 notches on the larger gear, larger gear also had 2 factor looking punch marks that lined up with the 2 teeth with notches in them, is this timing correct. is there a better ignition system or can anyone help with getting this one working, do you shut the carb all the way to choke it to start? what kind of oil or grease do you use in the grease/oil cups, im totally new to these engines so any and all info is appreciatd, thanks josh
joshuaj97

Re: fairbanks 1.5 horsepower

Post by joshuaj97 »

what direction does this engine turn viewing from the govener side, i thought from that side it turns clockwise but i dont know
GlennW

Post by GlennW »

Standing behind the engine, pull the top of the flywheels toward you to start it. Well, maybe :?

I have one engine with point/buzz coil ignition that also has a primer cup for fuel. I've started it by priming it with fuel, rotating it once (with the battery disconnected) and then stopping it just barely past TDC on the conpression stroke. Connect the coil to the battery, and poof, it runs!

The other method I use for this one most often is to prime it, rotate it a time or two, (battery disconnected) stopping on bottom dead center, connect the battery and spin the flywheel in the wrong direction. When it comes up to TDC, it kicks, reversing the direction of the flywheels giving tem enough inertia to spin through the correct rotation, and poof, it's runing.

They all seem to have their own personality as far as starting, so a bit of experimentation is in order.

If it has no primer cup, I rotate it by hand through a cmplete cycla with the needle valve open abit, the battery disconnected, and my hand over the carb. You will feel it suck, and a bit of fuel should dribble out when you take your hand off.

Straight SAE 30 oil should work as well as mineral or lithium grease.

Not familiar with the Z or exactly how to time it, but the ignition should fire just prior to top dead center on the compression stroke.
Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!
joshuaj97

Post by joshuaj97 »

Glenn,
On this engine i cannot find any sort of a needle valve on the carb, it looks to only have a air door lets call it, that you rotate around its on the front of the carb controlling the air into the engine, its no butterfly or anything like that, is it possable i have some kind of a older model, there appears to be a serial number on the top of the machine do you know any way of finding info through that number? thanks josh
GlennW

Post by GlennW »

It should have no butterfly, as it is a hit and miss engine, not throttle governed. They are referred to as "mixers" as they just mix the fuel and air.

I am not familiar with Z's, other than just looking at a couple, so I'm not sure about the fuel needle valve, but I would think it would have one to adjust the fuel air mixture. Most fuel mixers do.

A guy could never have too many old engines... :wink:
Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!
mrford

Post by mrford »

the engine you have is referred to as a dish pan because of the fly wheel configuration . The ignition system you need to determine when the points or switch opens or closes at top dead center usually a little after . If they open at t d c than this engine uses a regular spark coil and battery .I f they close at t d c it uses a buzz or model T coil .These are redly available look up "model T parts" . the model T coil can run nicely in 6 or 12 volts with no changes . They have 3 connections 2 on the side 1 on the bottom . The 1 on the bottom goes to the battery + or minus mask no difference the other side of the battery goes to ground on the engine block the top terminal is looking for ground when the points close you get a buzz and continues spark .The lower connection on the side goes to the spark plug .With this ignition system if there is gas in the cylinder it will pop if the timing is right and the mixer is working it will run. you can use one of the hobby batteries or a motor cycle battery or you can jump it off your car to test . Good luck i hope this helps you . :lol:
joshuaj97

Post by joshuaj97 »

Mrford,
that makes perfect sense your help is greatly appreciated