Help On Identification, Coal Wood Fired

This forum is for Internal Combustion Engines such as Hit 'n Miss, Throttle Goverened One Lungers etc. Repair, Machining, Operation, Buy/Sell/Trade of these engines are all topical.

Moderator: Harold_V

vintagesteamtoys

Help On Identification, Coal Wood Fired

Post by vintagesteamtoys »

Need some help on this one. Have of you our there ever seen an engine like this?
Specs as follow.
The base is 2 1/8" in heigth and is trapezoidal when viewed at the crossection. The bottom of the base is 16 3/4" W X 24 3/4" L. Now, the top of the base is 16" X 24". The cast iron firebox/boiler is 14 3/4" long and 10 1/2" wide. The flywheel is 6 1/2" diameter and 1 1/8" wide. There exists a little plumbing in the hollow base. One pipe appears to drain oil from the cylinder. BTW, my friend said the engine is "double action" due to the other rod on a concentric of the crank shaft and operating on two valves in the steam cylinder. Not having weighed the unit I'd guesstimate it weighs in excess of 150 lbs. Three sets of cast iron doors on the firebox/boiler unit. The top, larger door accesses the tubes (white is mud dauber nests plugging up pipes). Then theres the bright "flue?" to control air into the firebox. The next set of doors is for fuel. Don't know what it used - just wasn't oil. Might've been coal or hard wood? Bottom set of cast iron doors were used for ash cleanout.
As soon as I can figure out how to upload pictures, I will add accordingly!