What’s the plan?

This forum is dedicated to Riding Scale Railroading with propulsion using other than steam (Hydraulics, diesel engines, gas engines, electric motors, hybrid etc.)

Moderator: Harold_V

Dick_Morris

Re: What’s the plan?

Post by Dick_Morris »

With Alaska running the highest rate of virus in the nation I'm back to laying low. For the near term trips out of the house will be limited to doctors and groceries. Amazon is my friend. Fortunately, I planed ahead when I got this house and the shop is attached to the house and well insulated and heated.

I bounce from project to project, but almost all are in support of building a USATC Consolidation. I manage to get in several hours a day in the shop and/or working on the computer doing drawings, etc. High on the list and in progress are a scale K-240 generator, a Pyle National headlight, and "Harriman" style number boards. I also have a lot of suspension and running gear parts and some other accessories that are partially done that I need to work on. Many of the parts I am making involve researching, drawing, 3D printing, investment casting, and machining. With spending 10-20 hours a week doing the administraive work for the Alaska Railroad #557 restoration and serving as care giver to my wife who has MS and is in a wheel chair I have more than enough to keep me busy.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

Of course I am not mentioning the cleanup from our club after Ida.

After being completely submerged in water ,(along with everything else at the club) a friend's steamer and battery loco both need a good cleaning and drying out.

Water resistant and submergible are totally different concepts.

Cannot figure out how to disassemble the truck drive units without pressing the axles out...so am drying in the oven
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
Greg_Lewis

Post by Greg_Lewis »

With these recent posts in mind, I have a quote on my desk that a former student sent me on his Christmas card some years ago. I've found it useful during tough times:

Start where you are.
Use what you have.
Do what you can.
— Arthur Ashe
Greg Lewis, Prop.
Eyeball Engineering — Home of the dull toolbit.
Our motto: "That looks about right."
Celebrating 35 years of turning perfectly good metal into bits of useless scrap.
OddDuck

Post by OddDuck »

What is this thing you call "plan"? I have a list, does that count? It seems to grow exponentially, and there are subsets of THE LIST, like "Honey-do", "Other people's projects", "Winter's coming", "Where the heck are you getting the dough for this, fool", and they keep growing and are mutually competing for that most precious and limited resource, time. It'll all get done eventually. I think the main hobby focus of the near future is going to be getting the loco going around the loop reliably, and maybe a few more cars.
"If you took the bones out they wouldn't be crunchy!" -Monty Python's Flying Circus
PRR5406

Post by PRR5406 »

The "plan" is to complete my track, place ballast, and run a simple train. Age and funding have simply made that only extremely difficult - yet not improbable. In the meanwhile, I try to complete my FA1 locomotive so it has power and enough of a roof/body so it can get paint. Once the FA1 is sold, there will be money enough to finish those things planned prior to my life insurance maturing.
"Plans!"
"Always stopping my train, and risking my ankles, with American made, New Balance sneakers."
wms6

Post by wms6 »

Plan to start building my railroad over the winter here in AZ. Always been a dream of mine and finally have the property to make it happen. First loop will be just under 1000 ft with later expansions going to 3300 ft. Already been clearing some mesquite out of the way.
4-6-2 Canadian Pacific finished 1973
0-8-0 Indiana Harbor Belt 102 in progress
Western Maryland Shay #6 in progress
Greg_Lewis

Post by Greg_Lewis »

OddDuck wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 2:29 am What is this thing you call "plan"? I have a list, does that count?

I'm with you. I don't plan, and rarely make a list. My wife will ask me what I'm going to do tomorrow and I say I'll decide tomorrow. And that often extends to half-hour intervals or even less. She, otoh, is a list maker and planner. Everything goes on a list. It takes her three weeks to get ready for a trip out of town. It takes me 20 minutes or less to pack my bag and head out the door.
Greg Lewis, Prop.
Eyeball Engineering — Home of the dull toolbit.
Our motto: "That looks about right."
Celebrating 35 years of turning perfectly good metal into bits of useless scrap.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

I can pack a bag in 10 minutes for a six week business trip.

All modular...
NP317

Post by NP317 »

I can refuse the trip and stay home.
Retired.
That's my plan.
RussN
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

Ah ..but they paid me so much to see the world on their dime..
NP317

Post by NP317 »

Been there done that.
Retired.
((-;
RussN
Patio

Post by Patio »

Just retired! Plan? I have no idea what I am doing, or how to do it. Kinda weird it it's own way, but a good way. I have no end to the projects that need doing, so boredom is not part of the equation. I have 4 road bikes and three off road bikes. The only road bike that is roadworthy right now is the 59 Cushman. It is only 8hp, so I am not going far. This winter I hope to work on one after the other until they are all road worthy. We will see what tomorrow brings.
My brother is buying me out, so I will have an income for awhile. Our shop has been in my garage for 25+ year and as of today it is empty. The garage needs some repairs done, before I can move all the crap I have piled everywhere, into it. I am going to use it for the storage of raw material and motorcycles. This should free up some room in the shops. But for now, even that will have to wait, as we are off to Kansas for a couple of weeks to see the SO's family, whom I enjoy. :)
More to come, as I get to it! :)
Live for the moment!
Prepare for tomorrow!
Forgive the past!