Anybody recognize this old one cylinder mystery engine?

This forum is dedicated to Riding Scale Railroading with propulsion using other than steam (Hydraulics, diesel engines, gas engines, electric motors, hybrid etc.)

Moderator: Harold_V

Glenn Brooks

Anybody recognize this old one cylinder mystery engine?

Post by Glenn Brooks »

Hello all, starting to assess the possibility of restoring this old 1959 built 12" ga 1500 yard switcher. It has a one cylinder, apparently air cooled engine with a largish expansion tank on the front end, and a multiple gear manually operated transmission on the port side. On the starboard side, the motor has a hand crank out the side of the engine, which spins the cylinder two revolutions then 'clicks' the distributor on the third revolution. Painted dark blue, for what that's worth.

Does anybody recognize the motor? I guess one possibility is it is an old hand farm engine mounted sideways in the loco frame to allow the transmission/ gear box to align the chain drive to the front truck. So far we haven't found a manufacture plate or casting mark to identify it. Also can't get into the body of the loco to look closely without cutting rivets or pulling the motor. I would like to try to get it running in situ, if possible, without pulling it all apart and breaking stuff - u till I have some idea what the make and model is...

Hoping someone will recognize the parts or configuration and be able to offer some idea of make and model.

Also would like to be able to research/order parts and maybe score an rebuild Manual, etc...

Thanks much,
Glenn
Attachments
1959 12" Gauge yard switcher, starboard side
1959 12" Gauge yard switcher, starboard side
Motor view, showing carb, intake and exhaust stack from engineer seat
Motor view, showing carb, intake and exhaust stack from engineer seat
Another view of engine, with intake/exhaust stack, carb, magneto with one lung cloth covered spark plug wire
Another view of engine, with intake/exhaust stack, carb, magneto with one lung cloth covered spark plug wire
View of transmission on port side of engine
View of transmission on port side of engine
View showing magneto
View showing magneto
Last edited by Glenn Brooks on Wed Jun 08, 2016 10:11 am, edited 3 times in total.
Moderator - Grand Scale Forum

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

Ahaha, Retirement: the good life - drifting endlessly on a Sea of projects....
Glenn Brooks

Re: Anybody recognize this old one cylinder mystery engine?

Post by Glenn Brooks »

Here are a couple more photos of existing parts on the motor.
Attachments
Expansion tank top of motor, next to cylinder
Expansion tank top of motor, next to cylinder
Mechanical distributor
Mechanical distributor
Cylinder head, side view
Cylinder head, side view

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

Bob D.

Post by Bob D. »

Glenn,
Pretty sure that is a Wisconsin engine with a hand clutch mounted up to it. Thats a magneto ignition and the clicking is the impulse coupling. Gives a snap action for a hot spark so there isn't much effort needed turning over the crank. Impulse coupling drops out after starting. Plenty of Wisconsin info out there. Looks like it has been sitting for quite some time. You've got a project on your hands for sure.

Bob
3/4" Juliet II 0-4-0
3/4" Purinton Mogul "Pogo"
3/4" Hall Class 10 wheeler
3/4" Evans Caribou/Buffalo 2-8-0
3/4" Sweet Violet 0-4-0
3/4" Hunslet 4-6-0
3/4" Kozo A3. Delayed construction project

1 1/2" A5 Camelback 0-4-0
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

The idea of 'just getting it running' is a dark road for an antique piece, and is responsible for the destruction of more running pieces than time itself. At minimum get down to the cylinder, and make sure the rings are not stuck, and you have a clean bore to run with. Without that, destruction of piston or bore will spell doom to the operating ability you may have. Magneto ignition is quirky, and old ones fail. But take heart, there are many sites and a few guys that can rebuild these tings, and restore function. Fuel,spark, and compression, you got it all.

Of course paint is pretty, and a labor of love on an old piece, that makes a mantle decoration out of a dead engine. I encourage you to start with making the internals good before anything else.
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.
Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

Thanks guys, yep, it's been stored in a shed for at least 25 years. It turns over easily with the hand crank, but that's as far as I've taken it so far. Right now, just trying to identify what it is, then go look for a parts manual and spares, etc.

I left it outside this winter to let the rain accelerate the process of stripping the old paint off the body.- it's all galvanized with very little rust.

Big Dave, Iam with you re: tearing down and looking at the internals. But so far, don't want to be taking stuff apart, until I have some idea what it is, mainly so that if something breaks during dissemble I will know where to search for replacement pars. And also need to know how to put it back together! " oh yah, I will remember which nut and bolt this is" doesn't work so well as it used to...

I saw some Wisconson Model AED photos on line today that seem similar. So maybe on the right path.

Thanks
Glenn

Karl_Losely

Post by Karl_Losely »

I would concur that it is a Wisconsin engine. Probably an AEN, AENL, or AENLD. All good heavy duty engines. You said it turned over without any difficulty. Does it seem like it has compression? Wisconsin's have a tendency to have the valves stick open if put away for an extended period of time without some oil being put in the cylinder and turned over by hand a few times before being stored.
You should hear the impulse coupling snap at the top of each compression stroke. If there is no spark, check that the points in the magneto are not stuck open or pitted so bad that they will not pass current when closed.

Have fun.
Karl.
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

Karl_Losely wrote:I would concur that it is a Wisconsin engine. Probably an AEN, AENL, or AENLD. All good heavy duty engines. You said it turned over without any difficulty. Does it seem like it has compression? Wisconsin's have a tendency to have the valves stick open if put away for an extended period of time without some oil being put in the cylinder and turned over by hand a few times before being stored.
You should hear the impulse coupling snap at the top of each compression stroke. If there is no spark, check that the points in the magneto are not stuck open or pitted so bad that they will not pass current when closed.

Have fun.
Karl.
Looks like a Wisconsin to me too!
I resurrected several that were mounted on some skids with snail fans. (Small centrifugal fans for mine ventilation)
And yes....these things were stored both outside and inside, and all but one out of six, didn't have valves that were stuck open.

Bill
Today's solutions are tomorrow's problems.
Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

Thanks all for helping identify the motor. Haven't dug into the engine yet - to many unfinished projects taking up shop space. But intend to get started soon as some track laying gets finished this month.

Anyone know of a vendor that rebuilds these old Wisconson carbs these days? Or the magneto??

Glenn

hammermill

Post by hammermill »

now is the time for a tablet/cheep phone and make sure you take pics of everything as it comes apart every step of the way.

that 20.30 dallor phone will be a life saver down the road. i concur on the brand and advice to make sure nothing is stuck, gummed up etc before a run test.
Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

Yep, absolutely. Pics every step. I even know of a guy who bags and tags all the nuts and bolts, with notes on slips of paper to describe where everything goes back together. Wish I was that organized...