Crossing bell

This forum is dedicated to Riding Scale Railroading with propulsion using other than steam (Hydraulics, diesel engines, gas engines, electric motors, hybrid etc.)

Moderator: Harold_V

Steggy

Re: Crossing bell

Post by Steggy »

Glenn Brooks wrote:Is there some way to vary the ring rate of the gong? Make it 1second rather than .05 second? Maybe with some sort of 12 v controller....?
It all depends on the bell type. If it is a single-stroke bell, you simply vary the time between pulses. If it has a mechanical interrupter that causes it to continuously cycle when power is applied you would have to modify it, which might be a lot of work to get the desired results. You would not be able to vary the voltage to change the cycle rate, as that is relatively independent of applied voltage.
———————————————————————————————————————————————————————
Music isn’t at all difficult.  All you gotta do is play the right notes at the right time!  :D
Steggy

Post by Steggy »

Mike Walsh wrote:
BigDumbDinosaur wrote: I don't believe that bell is electronic.
So, you expect a crossing tender to hit the gong every 0.5 seconds?

It's a 12v mech.

-Mike
Mike, in years past, I worked extensively on this stuff and can tell you that it's unlikely that that particular bell is electronic. It may have a mechanical interrupter to make it self-cycle, in which case the cycle rate would likely be 2 CPS, which is common for a grade crossing bell. That said, it's not possible to make that determination by viewing a single photograph. The answer is under the gong or on the back of the mounting bracket.
Music isn’t at all difficult.  All you gotta do is play the right notes at the right time!  :D
Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

Here's the listing for the bell in the event anyone is interested if purchasing. I've decided not to pick it up - mostly because it would be years to never before I can get around to refurbishing the old electric loco I would put it on. Of course, that will likely change right after someone buys it.

https://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/for/ ... 99085.html

I have not followed up with owner to determine how many rings per second this unit produces...

PS! I see another one listed on DLS also.. don't know anymore than it was posted in the RR equipment section.

Cheers
Glenn
Moderator - Grand Scale Forum

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

Ahaha, Retirement: the good life - drifting endlessly on a Sea of projects....
Steggy

Post by Steggy »

Glenn Brooks wrote:Here's the listing for the bell in the event anyone is interested if purchasing. I've decided not to pick it up - mostly because it would be years to never before I can get around to refurbishing the old electric loco I would put it on. Of course, that will likely change right after someone buys it.

https://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/for/ ... 99085.html

I have not followed up with owner to determine how many rings per second this unit produces...

PS! I see another one listed on DLS also.. don't know anymore than it was posted in the RR equipment section.

Cheers
Glenn
The photo of the rear of the junction box says "RACO," which is a brand of wiring products, such as boxes, plates and the like. RACO does not manufacture bells, so there's still no clue about it. Dunno how anyone can expect to sell a product without furnishing some details.