Scale Wig Wag

This forum is dedicated to Riding Scale Railroading with propulsion using other than steam (Hydraulics, diesel engines, gas engines, electric motors, hybrid etc.)

Moderator: Harold_V

paulj84003

Scale Wig Wag

Post by paulj84003 »

Has anyone on this forum built a model Wig Wag crossing signal? I am contemplating building a wig wag signal about 6' tall, possible using a windshield wiper motor that has parking so that the pendulum will return to a vertical position when at rest. Any info would be of benifit.

Paulj
"a wise man learns by experience, a wiser man by the experience of others"
Atkinson_Railroad

Re: Scale Wig Wag

Post by Atkinson_Railroad »

Googling "Magnetic Signal Company, Los Angeles" will get 'ya started.

Here's a handy drawing for some dimensions.
http://www.trainweb.org/dansrailpix/plate2210.JPG

This looks quite useful as well:
https://davemargulius.files.wordpress.c ... atalog.pdf

John
ccvstmr

Post by ccvstmr »

Interesting prototype wig-wag signal info. Never thought about using large coils that would be alternately energized to draw an armature mounted between bearings to create the pivoting wig-wag motion.

Looking to do something without magnetic coils...small rpm gear motor driving a disk. On the perimeter of the disk is a pin. The wig wag arm has a slot for the pin. As the motor turns...the wig-wag arm swings back an forth...the disk pin effectively moves up/down in the arm slot. Can vary the wig-wag timing by the speed of the gear motor. Wig-wag swing would be determined by the distance from the disk center to the perimeter pin. This could work! Carl B.
Life is like a sewer...what you get out of it depends on what you put into it!
I don't walk on water...I just learned where some of the stepping stones are!
I love mankind...it's some of the people I can't stand!
Atkinson_Railroad

Post by Atkinson_Railroad »

This site appears to be the "Wig Wag" destination.
http://www.trainweb.org/dansrailpix/WIG_WAG_PAGE2.htm

John
paulj84003

Post by paulj84003 »

Yes I know of those wig wag sites. I originally thought of using electromagnetic's as well as the disc and pin which I used on a windmill that I built several years ago to pump water. The windshield wiper motor that I am looking at has an adjustable park position that should allow the pendulum to come to rest in a vertical position. I though perhaps that some one had already built a wig wag and that I might benefit from their expertise. Thanks for the responses.
rkcarguy

Post by rkcarguy »

Just curious, could you mount a strong magnet or two onto a plate spinning on a motor(probably use your same wiper motor), so that as the magnet passes the flat bar "pendulum" it would make an attempt to grab it and start it swinging? No mechanical connection to break or wear out, cheap and easy. If you get the speed/timing right on the magnets, yeah the first couple passes may be weak but it will get into full swing if done right. Turn off the motor, and the weight of it settles to center.
Also, don't dismiss trying to partially balance the wig-wag part, i.e., use a very thin plate for the large exposed portion, and use a small yet heavy counterweight up top to balance some of it out so you don't have to use giant magnets.
paulj84003

Post by paulj84003 »

I used a windshield wiper motor and used a cam on the shaft and micro switch to cause it to park in the same position each time (pendulum down) Works ok.