Handrail Stanchions?

This forum is dedicated to Riding Scale Railroading with propulsion using other than steam (Hydraulics, diesel engines, gas engines, electric motors, hybrid etc.)

Moderator: Harold_V

rkcarguy

Re: Handrail Stanchions?

Post by rkcarguy »

It's an in between at 2" scale, or 1/6th actual size. I'm going to be using 12" gage on the tracks, which is wider than it should be for my size but I feel it's necessary for what I'm doing.
Have a look at my 12" working railroad post in grand scales.
makinsmoke

Post by makinsmoke »

1-7/8" diameter is a little big for the handrail unless you are talking about the stanchions.

Do you have a lathe? Is turning round or square stock an option?
BobbyT

Post by BobbyT »

If I recall right, prototype handrail would be between 1" and 1 3/8". At 2" scale, would give you a handrail of around 1/4"
rkcarguy

Post by rkcarguy »

The pipe rail shown on the full size locomotive is at least 1-1/4" pipe, which is 1.66" in outside diameter. Smaller stuff than that wouldn't be suitable safety wise, unless that type of stuff wasn't in place when these were made.
The "infill posts" are certainly smaller, but the main grab rail I'd guess is either 1.66 or 1.90" O.D. pipe.
I have limited access to the lathe at work, none at home.
makinsmoke

Post by makinsmoke »

I know this is a contemporary document but it does refer to older locomotives, and specifically
vertical handrails but it specs 7/8" diameter
then specified as 1" minimum after 1977. Cut levers were 3/4".

It would be helpful if someone could measure one for us.

https://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/CFR-2011- ... 231-30.pdf

1-5/8" still seems awfully big.
chiloquinruss

Post by chiloquinruss »

Thinking out loud (I know big mistake) how about using cotter pins as your standoffs. Once formed you could solder the opening end to make a solid piece and then trim to get the height right. Russ
JoeKahan

Post by JoeKahan »

How about using something like these Rod End Bolt Blanks from McMaster-Carr 6065K171. You can drill & thread them to your liking.
Joe
Joe Kahan
C.E.O. Paradise and Warm Springs Railway
GE 23T Box Cab
Allen Chloe Project
M.O.W. Highrailer project
rkcarguy

Post by rkcarguy »

The wire rails on the Athearn HO model scale up to .380" in diameter in 1/6th scale, not that it means much lol.
senorgilamonster

Post by senorgilamonster »

I made the stanchions on my 2 1/2" scale bobber caboose on a 3D printer. ABS plastic...
rkcarguy

Post by rkcarguy »

I don't have a 3D printer, would be amazing to play with!
I'm just working on other parts of the locomotive body now, I have some options like using aluminum golf tee's and/or aluminum tie rod ends for 1/8th scale RC cars and punching the ball out of them. I'll get there.
senorgilamonster

Post by senorgilamonster »

...how many do you need? do you have a drawing, etc. once you have the cad file, getting them printed isn't too big a deal. If they aren't too complicated, I might be able to help with the file, etc.
rkcarguy

Post by rkcarguy »

I really appreciate the offer, I'm wanting to stick with aluminum though. Otherwise some of the pawns from a cheap plastic chess set would have worked rather nicely with a hole in the head:)
I have access to Autocad LT, so can draw all kinds of 2D stuff. Even more exciting is work is getting one of these in about 2 weeks:

https://arclightcnc.com/plasma-demo-videos/#

I may see if they can run them in aluminum plate on this and then I'll drill the hole with a step bit.