Milwaukee Road # Conflict

This forum is dedicated to Riding Scale Railroading with propulsion using other than steam (Hydraulics, diesel engines, gas engines, electric motors, hybrid etc.)

Moderator: Harold_V

rkcarguy

Milwaukee Road # Conflict

Post by rkcarguy »

Here is a good one for you guys...same #, definitely not the same locomotive.
The black and white pic was taken in my area years ago and appears to be an SD9 or GP9 to me, and when searching for #532 to see better pictures of her this SD10 keeps coming up?

Milw532also.jpg
MilwSD10.jpg
rkcarguy

Re: Milwaukee Road # Conflict

Post by rkcarguy »

Hmmmmm
Attachments
MilwSD9.jpg
jcbrock

Post by jcbrock »

I believe it's the same loco rebuilt with a chopped nose, ditch lights etc.
John Brock
Erskine Tramway

Post by Erskine Tramway »

jcbrock wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:43 am I believe it's the same loco rebuilt with a chopped nose, ditch lights etc.
That would be my guess. We had an SD9, #6158, that got in a wreck, and they put a new cab and chopped nose on it. The last time I had an SD9 on a Local, the number on the call sheet was 6158. It was after the Sani Flush took over, and I figured it was a re-numbering. Turned out to be the actual 6158, and I was like a kid in the candy store, switching with a real SD9. The motor was older than my two crewmen :D

Mike
Former Locomotive Engineer and Designer, Sandley Light Railway Equipment Works, Inc. and Riverside & Great Northern Railway 1962-77
BN RR Locomotive Engineer 1977-2014, Retired
Pontiacguy1

Post by Pontiacguy1 »

The short line railroad that runs around where I live has about 6 locomotives that were done that way. They were originally high-nose GP-9 locomotives that were cut down and had a big window added in the middle just like your pictures show. If you look at them from the side, and you know what to look for, you can tell that they've been cut down because the shape of the nose and length is just a little bit different than ones that were low-nose to begin with.

Also: Love that picture of the 532 in front of that factory. That looks like about a 1962 Chevrolet truck in the background there.
rkcarguy

Post by rkcarguy »

Very interesting, from the front of the cab back it does look the same with the exception of the ram horns thing on the top and the nose does look a bit funny.
The first picture of the SD9 on the bridge has a bit of a story. As a kid I'd go visit my great aunt in Everson, WA with my mom and we'd drive past this every time. If I remember correctly, the MR was having financial troubles and this line wasn't used much anymore, I have only a couple memories of seeing a train on this bridge as a kid. Then the coup-de-grace came when some kids set the bridge on fire. It was blocked off with some warning signs and train traffic obviously ceased. I remember asking my mom about the trains whenever I'd see the bridge and she'd tell me there wasn't going to be anymore and that they weren't going to fix the bridge. The bridge was then demo'd several years later and this is one of the only pictures I was able to dig up of it online.
Pontiacguy1, yeah that is a cool picture, I figured the truck for a 63 Chev just as a guess. I'm curious to know what factory/mill that was. The Port Angeles location has me thinking a lumber mill maybe?
NP317

Post by NP317 »

The factory in the background has a sign visible for "Crown Zellerback."
The make (made?) paper products.
~RN
rkcarguy

Post by rkcarguy »

http://www.historylink.org/File/7475

It's a paper mill, still open today although it has changed hands several times.
BobbyT

Post by BobbyT »

1960 Chevy P/U :)