Narrow gage/Standard gage

This forum is dedicated to Riding Scale Railroading with propulsion using other than steam (Hydraulics, diesel engines, gas engines, electric motors, hybrid etc.)

Moderator: Harold_V

Mr Ron

Narrow gage/Standard gage

Post by Mr Ron »

This is a question I have not been able to find an answer to. Is narrow gage equipment (locos, cars) the same size as standard gage equipment, the difference being only in the track gage? or is NG equipment proportionately smaller than standard gage equipment?
Mr.Ron from South Mississippi
ChuckHackett-844

Re: Narrow gage/Standard gage

Post by ChuckHackett-844 »

"Narrow Gauge" equipment is typically larger than standard gauge (assuming we are talking 7.x gauge track). It needs to be a larger scale (~ 2.5 or 3 in-to-foot as opposed to 1.5 in-to-foot for std gauge ) so that the narrow gauge wheel set comes to 7.x inches.
Regards,

Chuck Hackett, UP Northern 844, Mich-Cal Shay #2
Owner, MiniRail Solutions, LLC, RR Signal Systems (http://www.MiniRailSolutions.com)
"By the work, One knows the workman"
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Depends on the builder, I would guess. One must consider both gauge and scale. They are not one and the same thing. As making a narrow gauge car to run on 7½" gauge (or 7¼") would look rather strange in 1½" scale, I expect that many build to 2½" or 3" scale.

Now to hear from those who know.

Readers?

H

edit: Neither 7¼" or 7½" gauge is true to 1½" scale. In order to be so, gauge would have to be just 7-1/16".
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
cbrew

Post by cbrew »

Mr Ron wrote: Sun Apr 22, 2018 11:16 am This is a question I have not been able to find an answer to. Is narrow gage equipment (locos, cars) the same size as standard gage equipment, the difference being only in the track gage? or is NG equipment proportionately smaller than standard gage equipment?
no, if i am reading your question correctly. narrow gauge equipment is smaller then standard gauge equipment. standard gauge is 10 wide and iirc 3 foot narrow gauge is 8 foot wide.
If it is not live steam. its not worth it.
Mr Ron

Post by Mr Ron »

I think CBREW answered my question. I was really trying to compare NG to std as to full size prototype practice, not in model scale.
Mr.Ron from South Mississippi
Dick_Morris

Post by Dick_Morris »

In some cases, standard gauge equipment was converted to narrow gauge and the overall dimension remained the same. Rotary snow plows and one class of locomotive come to mind.
Pontiacguy1

Post by Pontiacguy1 »

Most items were definitely smaller. That was the appeal of 3' gauge was that you had smaller equipment which would allow you to turn tighter curves, make smaller tunnels, use lighter rails, and also not have to clear nearly as wide a roadbed or use as long of crossties. Some of the D&RGW locomotives were built from standard gauge locomotives and they re-used the boiler, cylinders, etc...

I think this picture shows the contrast between the sizes of 3' equipment vs. standard gauge.
9733310837_25a5e984c0_c.jpg
Soot n' Cinders

Post by Soot n' Cinders »

I know the East Broad Top was an oddity with this, a lot of rolling stock that they handled was standard gauge cars that had been fitted with 3ft gauge trucks.
-Tristan

Projects
-2.5" scale Class A 20 Ton Shay

Steam Siphon: https://www.shapeways.com/shops/leavitt ... tive-works