ALCO cab nose measures?

This forum is dedicated to Riding Scale Railroading with propulsion using other than steam (Hydraulics, diesel engines, gas engines, electric motors, hybrid etc.)

Moderator: Harold_V

Rick

Re: ALCO cab nose measures?

Post by Rick »

I got them at O'rileys auto parts came in a pack of 2, Seem bright enough for what I want, I have only hooked them to a battery in my shop.
They are a spot light type. Biggest factor was they were the right diameter to fit the housing.
https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/b/nv ... true&pos=3
Rick

“We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill (1874-1965)
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading". Unknown
Murphy's Law: " If it can go wrong it will"
O-Tool's Corollary: "Murphy was entirely too optimistic"
PRR5406

Post by PRR5406 »

Absolutely gorgeous headlight and worthy of a PA1 ! Well done!
"Always stopping my train, and risking my ankles, with American made, New Balance sneakers."
Rick

Post by Rick »

PRR5406 wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 10:54 am Absolutely gorgeous headlight and worthy of a PA1 ! Well done!
Thank you ! I am trying my best not to be a rivet counter on this loco so I can get it done in a reasonable (that's a very ambiguous word) amount of time, I am doing that on a Shay that I am building, and just can't help myself.
As much as I like operating them I like the building much more.
Rick

“We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill (1874-1965)
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading". Unknown
Murphy's Law: " If it can go wrong it will"
O-Tool's Corollary: "Murphy was entirely too optimistic"
PRR5406

Post by PRR5406 »

It's been a long time, but I'm finally able to push forward with the CNR ALCO FA1. We almost have complete trucks under her, and the electric motors are sitting while we figure chains and sprockets. Where screening was concerned I might as well be walking on the sun, so I bought quarter inch hardware cloth, which actually isn't bad. Once it has a coat of olive paint on it, it'll work well.
LED's are on hand, but I won't do those until she's been painted. The olive and yellow was so much classier on CNR Diesels, and I wanted to make the point!
Oznium for LED's an Highball Graphics for decals (at some point). Odd Duck Foundry for trucks....
Attachments
20210908_174308.jpg
20210908_174356.jpg
20210908_174409.jpg
"Always stopping my train, and risking my ankles, with American made, New Balance sneakers."
PRR5406

Post by PRR5406 »

The number of responses to my previous photos was none, so in keeping with tradition and consistency, here are a few more from yesterday.
Screening has been added along the walls, although it is 1/4", which was the smallest available and affordable. It stands out better with primer on it.
The roof ribs were cast by Odd Duck Foundry. They are skewered on three threaded rods and held in place by lock washers and nuts. Once they're correctly spaced out, they get torqued down and Loc-Tited. Sheet aluminum will be formed and fastened to the ribs to make a single removable structure. The trucks sit too low under the frame at the moment and will come up about 1/2" and be leveled. Coupler pocket is coming soon.
20211004_171631.jpg
20211004_171507.jpg
Attachments
20211004_171436.jpg
OddDuck

Post by OddDuck »

Mmmm, ribs... Looking good!
"If you took the bones out they wouldn't be crunchy!" -Monty Python's Flying Circus
NP317

Post by NP317 »

That should be a great looking loco when completed. I've always liked the looks of the ALCO F series locomotives.
It is coming along nicely.
RussN
Pontiacguy1

Post by Pontiacguy1 »

Alcos are my favorite diesel locomotives. Very unique, and most had a reputation of being durable and having a lot of power. They also produced that Alco smoke. I'm interested in your build, so keep posting.
PRR5406

Post by PRR5406 »

Thanks, guys! That's the encouragement I wanted! And BBQ, Odd Duck! Incidentally this is 1.6" scale and 74" long.
Andrew Pugh

Post by Andrew Pugh »

Cool project! What are the details on the running gear?

-Andrew
NP317

Post by NP317 »

Pontiacguy1 wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 6:55 am Alcos are my favorite diesel locomotives. Very unique, and most had a reputation of being durable and having a lot of power. They also produced that Alco smoke. I'm interested in your build, so keep posting.
I have engineered an ALCO RS 4/5 locomotive in tourist service. One of the nicest dismals I have operated.
We could start a 4-car heavyweight passenger train (~300 tons) on idle. Plenty of power. And smoke when so instructed.

Keep building!
RussN
PRR5406

Post by PRR5406 »

Andrew: Our intention is to mount a 24 volt wheelchair motor under each truck, chain drive to sprockets on each axle. The ALCO trucks are Odd Duck designs. We still want to retrofit the faux brake reservoirs and elliptical springs. The motors will, in all likelihood, be controlled through the salvaged controller electronics from the same wheelchair. That being said, if those electronics "bomb", I might go to an alternative wiring. LED's throughout, purchased online from Oznium, a company I have come to like quite well. I guess I've said it in an earlier post, it'll be CNR green and gold, and numbered in that series.