Laser cut switch stand kit

This forum is dedicated to Riding Scale Railroading with propulsion using other than steam (Hydraulics, diesel engines, gas engines, electric motors, hybrid etc.)

Moderator: Harold_V

rkcarguy

Laser cut switch stand kit

Post by rkcarguy »

The first switch stand kit got laser cut today in 1/4" A572-G50 plate. This will stand about 14" tall when assembled, I've scaled it at about 2" scale except the shaft(bolt) is 1/2" so it can withstand me tripping over it, etc etc. :roll:
You'll notice there are two top plates for the stand, one is for "slave" mode, where the turnout is activated by other methods and the stand is to display turnout position only(handle is still there for looks), the other top has notches in it so the handle folds down and locks into them. The handle is pulled up, and shoved inward to turn. My first one is going to be a "slave" type, as I want to have a throw "bar" ahead of the turnout so I don't have to get off the riding car when entering or exiting the mainline to the house/loco shed siding.

I'm going to do a little de-burring and then weld it all up Monday.
swstand.jpg
chiloquinruss

Re: Laser cut switch stand kit

Post by chiloquinruss »

Is this for personal use or are you going to sell them when testing is done? Russ
rkcarguy

Post by rkcarguy »

Russ, I'll send you a PM.
rkcarguy

Post by rkcarguy »

I thought the top of the stand was a bit too big after I assembled the first one, so I've reduced the long slots to 1" at the top and added two tapered pieces of cut plate to use for the verticals instead of flat bar. I also had a 12' long bar of 1/2" stainless round bar, so I'm going to eliminate the coupler nut and bolt and use one solid shaft all the way through. I also made some minor changes to the handle parts, the plate in the upper left corner now has a ring that extends all the way around the shaft, so when it's welded/brazed it won't pull the shaft one direction and it's a lot easier to align while assembling. As soon as I get another one cut I'll post up some pictures.
rkcarguy

Post by rkcarguy »

More brainstorming resulted in revision #3 haha.
I shortened the handle and changed it to an L shape that is spring loaded vertically, with a detent tab on it that drops into slots in the top plate that are 90* apart. So the user can simply pull up on the handle with their foot and then rotate to change the turnout direction. I found some bronze bushings for a fair price as well as the springs that are both on their way, so hopefully next week I'll have the "slave" and locking version all tacked up and ready to post some pictures.
rkcarguy

Post by rkcarguy »

swstand1.jpg
swstand2.jpg
Just slipped the pieces together here.
Should I make a dummy handle for this version(slave)?
rkcarguy

Post by rkcarguy »

Here are more pictures. The spring action handle works nicely, it can be flicked with the shoe and then rotated to change turnout direction **without bending over** When it hits the detent, the handle drops into place locking it.
These are going to be my "all weather" versions, as I'm going to grease fitting the pipe so they can stand being buried in snow, frozen, or rained on for months on end without getting stuck. If I decide to sell these, I'd probably offer an open bushing version with no pipe in the center that would work fine in more average environments.

These are designed to attach linkage from the underside, but will also accept it from the top. The linkage arm has three holes in it for various throw requirements.

This mimics a full height stand in 1/6th scale, however the shaft can be cut to any length. I'm going to make 2 tall ones and one shorty for my RR to start with, a mainline stand with a red disc, another with a yellow diamond for the "firewood customer spur(house)", and the shorty for the turnout in front of the future train shed.
swstandlever.jpg
swstandlock1.jpg
swstandlock2.jpg
swstandlock3.jpg
rkcarguy

Post by rkcarguy »

The first one is finally done. This turnout stand can be easily unlocked by giving the handle a bump upward with the toe of a shoe, then rotate to change route. The handle is lightly sprung, so it drops into place once it reaches the other notch.
In the last picture, yes that's a grease fitting there in the tube to assure constant lubrication and operation in most any conditions.
I think these would be best assembled by brazing, but I didn't have any brazing rod so I TIG welded this one.
These attach to the ties with 5/16" carriage bolts for a tamper resistant bolt down, or you can use whatever bolts you'd like.
The lever arm contains 3 holes for various distances of throw, and the handle can be removed or have the tang ground off for "slave" versions, where other means throw the turnout, yet you still want the stand to display the position. If it sounds like a bit of a sales pitch, I guess it is. :wink:
I am looking for a good source for some stainless shaft material, and plan to offer these for sale here on Chaski in kit form and assembled if there is interest. These take about 30 minutes for a skilled person to assemble, the laser cut parts are tabbed for easy alignment during welding/brazing.
Preliminary pricing will be $25 each for the kit with open bronze flanged bushings, 3/8" shaft, laser cut steel stand parts, and choice of round, diamond, or chevron style targets, $45 assembled, and $55 assembled with the "severe weather option" as shown with the pipe and grease fitting. For any interested clubs that want to mass assemble their own, I'll entertain a lower price for quantity.
swstandfinal1.jpg
swstandfinal2.jpg
swstandfinal4.jpg