New Bettendorf trucks in the works...

This forum is dedicated to Riding Scale Railroading with propulsion using other than steam (Hydraulics, diesel engines, gas engines, electric motors, hybrid etc.)

Moderator: Harold_V

OddDuck

New Bettendorf trucks in the works...

Post by OddDuck »

Just for a teaser, I have been working on patterns for T-frame Bettendorf trucks. I am nearly done tweaking the master pattern, and will be starting on the bolster this weekend. I'm pretty happy with it so far, the nice thing about this set of castings is that I think they will be able to be finished up with a file and some sandpaper. Maybe a drill.
This is a mock-up of an early casting attempt. Oh, 1/8th scale, by the by, and will be useable for both 7 1/4" and 7 1/2".
Attachments
IMG_20190314_142239403.jpg
"If you took the bones out they wouldn't be crunchy!" -Monty Python's Flying Circus
jcbrock

Re: New Bettendorf trucks in the works...

Post by jcbrock »

Yay, every SP steam era modeler needs these.
John Brock
PRR5406

Post by PRR5406 »

Man, they are clean and beautiful!
"Always stopping my train, and risking my ankles, with American made, New Balance sneakers."
OddDuck

Post by OddDuck »

Thanks, after a minor correction to the master, they are coming out completely clean, so onward and upward with the working pattern. The bolster master is almost complete as well.
"If you took the bones out they wouldn't be crunchy!" -Monty Python's Flying Circus
OddDuck

Post by OddDuck »

First test cast of the side frames, I'm pretty happy with how they came out. The bolster pattern is almost done, I expect to start production by the end of the week. Not quite as detailed as I wanted, but I just couldn't manage the smaller details, I tried two or three times but lacked the tools and more importantly, the fine motor skills to do the smaller ribs.
Attachments
IMG_20190414_144618455.jpg
IMG_20190414_144646521.jpg
OddDuck

Post by OddDuck »

Quick update, the bolster pattern is done, and casting will commence tomorrow. I will post in the sales section when I have multiple sets ready to sell.
OddDuck

Post by OddDuck »

The T-frame Bettendorf truck is complete! I wanted to get one assembled before I started casting a bunch. Aside from my usual pattern making habit of overcompensating for shrinkage and having to remove a little more material than I wanted it came out as well as I had hoped it would.
Have to make some ingots tonight, and casting starts in earnest tomorrow. I will announce when I have a pile for sale!
Attachments
IMG_20190420_164519330~2.jpg
IMG_20190420_164512841~2.jpg
IMG_20190420_164508013~2.jpg