Clippard QC's

This forum is dedicated to Riding Scale Railroading with propulsion using other than steam (Hydraulics, diesel engines, gas engines, electric motors, hybrid etc.)

Moderator: Harold_V

ccvstmr

Clippard QC's

Post by ccvstmr »

I've been down this path before. Might have posted something on Chaski some years back. However, this problem arose recently and thought I'd share with the Chaski community...for those using Clippard quick connectors (QC) for air brake systems (or other), take note...

While bringing my loco back to life after Winter down time (and more), found my air brake compressor was cycling excessively. Sounded like an air leak somewhere. Didn't have my ultrasonic "ear" with me. Used the next best thing...soap solution. Started brushing the solution on various brake system connectors. Wasn't long before the following indicated a problem area...
IMG_1502.JPG
Had a hunch right away...the female connector internal O-ring needed replacement. Not the first time this has happened...probably won't be the last. After carefully popping the E-ring off the back of the thread-on connector, was able to extract the O-ring and found this...
IMG_1514.jpg
The cause of deteriorated O-rings is usually the sharp leading edge cutting the O-ring material in the female part of the QC. In this case, red is a silicon rubber O-ring...1/4" od x 1/8" id. Can get these from McMaster-Carr. Tom Bee told me years ago, he contacted Clippard to discuss the problem. The end result was Clippard started machining a slight bevel on the end of the male fitting. Here's an older and newer connector side by side for comparison...
IMG_1524.JPG
Should "just" be able to make out the slight bevel on the edge of the right side QC.

What to do with older QC's? Can take a #4 (or #5 or #6) center drill and while holding the QC upside down, cut a slight bevel the inlet edge. Let the chips/filings fall OUT of the connector. Don't need much of a bevel. This helps ease the O-ring on the female QC stem into the male QC.

When readily available, I'll swab a light film of Teflon or Silicon grease around the inside of the male QC. Helps make the connectors slide together easier. Don't use too much..don't want to plug the air passages in the female connector.

So, if you're having problems with air brake system leaks...here's an easy check and remedy. Good luck and happy railroading! Carl B.
Life is like a sewer...what you get out of it depends on what you put into it!
I don't walk on water...I just learned where some of the stepping stones are!
I love mankind...it's some of the people I can't stand!
makinsmoke

Re: Clippard QC's

Post by makinsmoke »

Thanks Carl!
I don’t have QC’s but am having the same cycling issue. I will check my o rings!!

Brian
cbrew

Post by cbrew »

i have been using this disconnects for as long as i can remember, its interesting the early units, never had an issue, but the ones i have picked up in the last 5 to 6 years,, this issue.
If it is not live steam. its not worth it.
NP317

Post by NP317 »

The company probably went with a lower bidder for the machined parts.
Bean counters at work.
Speculation. And common.
~RN
cbrew

Post by cbrew »

NP317 wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 10:24 pm The company probably went with a lower bidder for the machined parts.
Bean counters at work.
Speculation. And common.
~RN
lower bidder of just lacking QC. something changed on the line.
If it is not live steam. its not worth it.