Interesting rail joint

This forum is dedicated to Riding Scale Railroading with propulsion using other than steam (Hydraulics, diesel engines, gas engines, electric motors, hybrid etc.)

Moderator: Harold_V

Greg_Lewis

Interesting rail joint

Post by Greg_Lewis »

Hi boys and girls.... here's another interesting detail on British rail. I've seen a number of these on different lines. Looks like an expansion joint. Clever.

IMG_8823.JPG
Greg Lewis, Prop.
Eyeball Engineering — Home of the dull toolbit.
Our motto: "That looks about right."
Celebrating 35 years of turning perfectly good metal into bits of useless scrap.
R Paul Carey

Re: Interesting rail joint

Post by R Paul Carey »

Your image is of a mitre ("miter") joint, to allow for rail expansion in certain critical areas. They are most commonly used in connection with movable rail bridge spans.
Tharper

Post by Tharper »

Here is a good one

Rough joint.jpg
NP317

Post by NP317 »

A dutchman made with spikes. Creative, and scary.
Perhaps called a Spikeman?
~RN
Fender

Post by Fender »

R Paul Carey wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:46 am Your image is of a mitre ("miter") joint, to allow for rail expansion in certain critical areas. They are most commonly used in connection with movable rail bridge spans.
I’ve also seen these on steep grades on Cass Scenic RR in WV, where the rail tends to creep downhill over a period of time. Usually the tapered section is only on one side, and fits against a stock rail on the other side of the joint. As the rail works downgrade, the stock rail slides against the tapered rail.
Dan Watson
Chattanooga, TN
ccvstmr

Post by ccvstmr »

Many don't realize there's "rail creep" in our hobby rails as well. Talking about the physical track structure and not necessarily....(never mind). Seen all too often where rail gaps near the bottom of a grade close up over time. Even had one guy complain there were no rail gaps. Well, the rail gaps were there when the track was installed...but closed up over time.

Trains traveling downgrade are braking...and pushing the rail in front of the train. Trains traveling upgrade...are trying to pull the rail under the train. There's an old joke about the track gang foreman removing a section of rail at the bottom of the hill...and moving that back to the top of the hill!

Would add....rail creep and rail expansion/contraction due to temperature variations are two different things. Carl B.
Life is like a sewer...what you get out of it depends on what you put into it!
I don't walk on water...I just learned where some of the stepping stones are!
I love mankind...it's some of the people I can't stand!