Painting graphics on plywood - advice

This forum is dedicated to Riding Scale Railroading with propulsion using other than steam (Hydraulics, diesel engines, gas engines, electric motors, hybrid etc.)

Moderator: Harold_V

rkcarguy

Re: Painting graphics on plywood - advice

Post by rkcarguy »

I had this problem with some large decals I applied to a race car years ago, the backer paper just wouldn't let go of the vinyl even though it felt like I had decent adhesion to the cars body. I ended up making a solution of dish washing soap ( I had lemon Joy) and warm water and sprayed it onto the backing several times and was able to get it to let go and leave the decal on the car.
makinsmoke

Post by makinsmoke »

Benjamin,
You have to burnish the stencil onto the surface with the backer on. I used the end of a model paintbrush. The round wood end.
Benjamin Maggi

Post by Benjamin Maggi »

I burnished and burnished and burnished. I pushed it into the wood as hard as I could. Then, when I removed the backer the stencil came off too. The plywood just wasn't smooth enough to give the stencil enough surface area to make a firm grip that could overcome the pull of removing the backer. I tried multiple stencils in multiple places with the same result.

I might just paint a piece of aluminum and then stencil that, and then screw the decorated metal onto the side of the car. It is only a bulkhead riding car and not a detailed freight car.
"One cannot learn to swim without getting his feet wet." - Benjamin Maggi
- Building: 7.25" gauge "Sweet Pea" named "Catherine"
NP317

Post by NP317 »

Benjamin Maggi wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:22 am [snip]
I might just paint a piece of aluminum and then stencil that, and then screw the decorated metal onto the side of the car. It is only a bulkhead riding car and not a detailed freight car.
That's what I've done. Works fine over time.
RN
makinsmoke

Post by makinsmoke »

You might try spray Spar Urethane in rattle can.
That’s what I top coat everything wood with.
It comes in gloss, satin and flat.

Just like the model guys, use a coat of gloss and put your stencils/decals on that layer. Topcoat with satin.