Lathe for turning wheels

This forum is dedicated to Riding Scale Railroading with propulsion using other than steam (Hydraulics, diesel engines, gas engines, electric motors, hybrid etc.)

Moderator: Harold_V

Patio

Re: Lathe for turning wheels

Post by Patio »

Can you post a picture of the bottom of the compound. Some one on here most likely will have a good guess at it. When posting a picture, it is helpful to put a scale or a common object in the picture, to help others understand the size of things, in the picture. I often put a 6"caliper in mine.
Are you going to scrape in the ways of this machine?
Thanks for the posting the pictures of your progress.
Live for the moment!
Prepare for tomorrow!
Forgive the past!
rkcarguy

Post by rkcarguy »

When you crank the compound back, you can see the screw from underneath. It's stamped G110 is the only marks I could find. It has about a 2-5/8" diameter cylinder sticking out the bottom with a tapered ring cut into it so it can rotate 360*.
The picture I posted has a $1 bill in it for scale. Its about 4-1/2" wide.
My thought was to leave the ways smooth and put some sort of oil holding finish on the carriage, maybe add an oil cup and grind/drill in some oil passages.
Dick_Morris

Post by Dick_Morris »

The bench you put your lathe on will influence the lathe's rigidity. For the price of a bag or two of ready mix and maybe a little rebar or steel mesh you can have a rigid mounting surface with a lot of mass.
rkcarguy

Post by rkcarguy »

I have a very heavy 48" x 24" bench I built years ago with 4ea 600# locking castors on it. It's got 6 4x4 columns, top and bottom surfaces are two layers of liquid nails laminated 3/4" plywood, 2x6 perimeter frames and it has some cross bracing on one end and one side. I built it to unload engines and full 55 gallon drums out of my truck and it's the same height as my tailgate. I'm thinking if I line the top with a plate/drip pan it will be all good.
For quake protection, I have a couple pieces of uni-strut that I welded plates onto the end, and I lagged them into the underside of the 2x6 and the wall and then strapped the barrels down. I can use those to secure the bench to the wall if I have to.
rkcarguy

Post by rkcarguy »

It looks like the tool post is going to fit the compound pretty good, I was worried it was going to be too small.
toolpost1.JPG
toolpost2.JPG
Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

Ryan, do you have the bottom half of the compound tool holder? A local guy here in Seattle has something that might fit. Let me know and I’ll ask him. It would be a freebie.

Glenn
Moderator - Grand Scale Forum

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

Ahaha, Retirement: the good life - drifting endlessly on a Sea of projects....
rkcarguy

Post by rkcarguy »

I do not, it's not a bolted connection, it has a diameter protruding out the bottom with a tapered groove in it. Special bolts with rounded tips are threaded in and allow the compound to spin 360*, and the taper pulls it down solid when the bolts are tightened. I figure it's size and depth is probably machine specific to whatever lathe it came from, sorry I should post a picture of the underside.

Or are you talking about the tool post T-nut? It came with the tool post but must be milled to fit the compound.
Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

Ryan, just looked a photo of the part - enlarged view of the base. It’s not a lathe compound mount, as I first thought. Looks more like an old shaper vise base of some sort...very much doubt if it would work- no swiveling center post and the the beveled ring /grove is absent. Appears to be a Frankenpart of some sort.

Here’s a pic. If you can use it, I certainly can pick it up Wednesday morning. I plan on heading up to Smokey point and Sedro Wooly on Thursday. Could head up toB’ham after that.

Glenn
Attachments
EA97BD8A-C6AA-4F41-9A0E-189DF7906F98.jpeg
Moderator - Grand Scale Forum

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

Ahaha, Retirement: the good life - drifting endlessly on a Sea of projects....
MsChrissi

Post by MsChrissi »

Just installed the Belfanti 6 bolt compound kit on a G0602Z Grizzly lathe to beef up the compound, well made and installs in a snap. Use this lathe for manual 2nd operations.
MsChrissi

Post by MsChrissi »

Out of curiosity, how much material allowance (not part of the scaling for shrinkage) should be available on driver castings to machine off?
rkcarguy

Post by rkcarguy »

I have always found when machining castings that I was better off to have a fair amount of material to remove, otherwise any remaining sand/grit and the sometime hard crust on the castings wiped out the tool quickly.
Being I am machining mine from laser cut plates, I leave myself at least 1/16th, or 1/8" on a diameter.
rkcarguy

Post by rkcarguy »

Glenn Brooks wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 10:03 pm Ryan, just looked a photo of the part - enlarged view of the base. It’s not a lathe compound mount, as I first thought. Looks more like an old shaper vise base of some sort...very much doubt if it would work- no swiveling center post and the the beveled ring /grove is absent. Appears to be a Frankenpart of some sort.

Here’s a pic. If you can use it, I certainly can pick it up Wednesday morning. I plan on heading up to Smokey point and Sedro Wooly on Thursday. Could head up toB’ham after that.

Glenn
That's an interesting part, never seen such a thing. I agree, maybe a custom or modified piece for holding a casting while machined?
I appreciate the offer but wouldn't have any use for that.