Flat Car Plans

This forum is dedicated to Riding Scale Railroading with propulsion using other than steam (Hydraulics, diesel engines, gas engines, electric motors, hybrid etc.)

Moderator: Harold_V

tomc

Re: Flat Car Plans

Post by tomc »

we build to 3.75 scale on 7.5 in. gage and have no problem with stability with big loads.

Tom C.
Attachments
P7030068.JPG
tom_at_srclry_com
A student of the Southend RGS!
eastsidebuzz

Post by eastsidebuzz »

Well that is encouraging to see. A 15 inch railroad is pretty darn expensive for engines. My wife is already mad about this idea if it costs more then the car I think she will have an issue. My Superbee forklift was 40k http://www.nmc-wollard.com/products/articulated-loaders and that was a tough sell.
rkcarguy

Post by rkcarguy »

If you can build much of the stuff yourself, it shouldn't cost that much. I'm using steel flat bar "groovy track" on wood ties which I cut from scrap and router cut the grooves into them. I got a bunch of old oil based stains from family and friends for free and mixed them all together along with some black Rustoleum paint to treat the ties. My budget goal was to come out at less than the cost of a 4x4x quad and trailer....what I would have had to buy to haul my firewood and trash. So far I'm way ahead of that.
You can have a look at Discover Live Steam's for sale section they have a lot of 7.5" gage trains for sale and that market is pretty competitive. 12" and 15" you'll be stuck doling out some pretty big money or building yourself.
eastsidebuzz

Post by eastsidebuzz »

Yes I know. I like the feel of the 12 inch trains. I have not been on a 15 yet. 7 1/2 is a bit small. But my wife is going to go crazy a the prices of the 15 inch ones at 270,000 new. So I guess I have campaign dreams and a beer budge.

1/3 scale GP Locomotive (15-24" gauge) starting at $135,950
Air brake system included

1/3 scale F unit Locomotive (15-24" gauge) starting at $135,950
Air brake system included
eastsidebuzz

Post by eastsidebuzz »

rkcarguy

Post by rkcarguy »

Are you set on doing real Live steam or willing to go "diesel"?
eastsidebuzz

Post by eastsidebuzz »

I could do Diesel. I rode glens 12" and I really liked it but, might be too rich for my blood and my wifes patience. I am totally new to this so I am open to most anything. I am worried about 7.5 being to skinny but, seems that is where the hobby is and if I want to visit some of the other rail roads then I need a 7.5 also.

I do want to build the cars myself. Not the engine I am happy to buy someone else's. Not sure if I want to have one built for me. Seems like the 50k is where the big stuff is. I think 12" is 3 inch scale.
eastsidebuzz

Post by eastsidebuzz »

Now when I say Diesel It might be gas. I was looking at these engines https://thetrainworks.com/product-categ ... omotives/I am thinking an sd45 engine and a powered slug. Then I might add a engine looking car so it would like like 2 engines but, one is just the cover. The main engine has the motor and hydrolic pump that runs the motors on the slug which is what you are sitting on. So basically 4 driving wheel sets. I like your 3.75 scale cars. Not sure what scale these are exactly.
eastsidebuzz

Post by eastsidebuzz »

Called Mike at Trainworks. They are 1.7 scale so there ya go.
NP317

Post by NP317 »

Those TrainWorks locomotives are probably 1.5"/ft or 1.6"/ft scale, and the photos show them running at Train Mountain Railroad, making them 7.5" gauge.

Your comment "I am worried about 7.5 being to skinny but, seems that is where the hobby is..." certainly is true.
I suggest you visit Train Mountain during their Narrow Gauge Meet this coming May 29 - 31.
Then you can see what 7.5" gauge is really capable of handling. You just might be surprised. For example, the photo below.

7.x gauge offers many suppliers of components, cars and supplies, in several scales, which can greatly reduce costs to achieve your goals.
And you can enjoy running on railroads other than your own. The social aspects of this hobby are rewarding.
RussN
3072-Large-x380.jpg
3072-Large-x380.jpg (47.91 KiB) Viewed 10155 times
rkcarguy

Post by rkcarguy »

Narrow gauge will give you satisfactory width (in my opinion) on 7.5" gauge track. There is the travel aspect of being able to go to other RR's too. I'm still in the middle of my working years and very busy. With the nearest 7.5" RR being 3+ hours away or across the border in Canada, travel won't be a concern of mine until after retirement. I decided upon 12" for extra stability for what I'm doing on my RR. I wouldn't say 12" gauge costs more the way Glenn and I have approached it, but you have to make much more things on your own that just aren't commonly available or cheap if they are. We have a laser cutter at my work, so I can quickly have all kinds of parts made from plate up to 1" thick that make it fairly easy to build my own trucks and frames and the pricing isn't too bad it's about $200/frame for the channel angle and laser cut parts. It only takes an evening to weld everything up. I developed a bit of a cookie cutter system that uses laser cut plate bulkheads on each end, a channel running lengthwise and across each truck pivot point, and then plate gussets on each side of the channel laser cut/coped to fit angle along the sides. I'm not a fan of the warping that welding does to sheet metal, so all my body work has been rivets, screws, and construction adhesive and has been the most time consuming part.
eastsidebuzz

Post by eastsidebuzz »

rkcarguy wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 1:50 am With the nearest 7.5" RR being 3+ hours away or across the border in Canada, travel won't be a concern of mine until after retirement. I decided upon 12" for extra stability for what I'm doing on my RR. I wouldn't say 12" gauge costs more the way Glenn and I have approached it, but you have to make much more things on your own that just aren't commonly available or cheap if they are.
What part of the state are you in? KLS is in port orchard and there is one up in Skykomish as well as train Mountain. Now 12 inch is great but, buying engines are really expensive. I just dont have the time to make something that complex. I am thinking of doing 7.5 because I can move the train with me. I am also thinking of adding a 3rd rail on the section that I need to run larger cars at 12 inch and pulling it with a 7.5 engine. But. I really like the trainworks stuff at 7.5. the 12 inch equivalent would be in the 100k price range.