Show us your ET (electric train)

This forum is dedicated to Riding Scale Railroading with propulsion using other than steam (Hydraulics, diesel engines, gas engines, electric motors, hybrid etc.)

Moderator: Harold_V

Steggy

Re: Show us your ET (electric train)

Post by Steggy »

I think you need to "isolate," not insulate. Strategically placed bulkheads, along with suitable fans, should keep the battery compartment temperature from becoming excessive.

Something I use in my F7 (not battery-powered) to get rid of engine room heat is a 92mm box fan that has an integral temperature-sensing feature. There is a thermistor that is exposed to the air stream and an internal controller that changes the fan's speed according to temperature. At room temperature, the fan runs slowly and uses very little power. You can get the fan from Digikey Electronics. I also attached the data sheet (PDF) and a pic of one of the fan assemblies from my F7. The right-hand view shows the thermistor.

F7 Cooling Fans
F7 Cooling Fans

Here's the data sheet for the fan:

mechatronics_e9225.pdf
(322.18 KiB) Downloaded 400 times

All that said, temperature rise is more a concern with lithium batteries than with lead-acid. I have to wonder if compartmentalizing your batteries and force-air cooling them will accomplish anything of value.
———————————————————————————————————————————————————————
Music isn’t at all difficult.  All you gotta do is play the right notes at the right time!  :D
Atkinson_Railroad

Post by Atkinson_Railroad »

Yes, “isolate” would have been a better word Bill.

And yes, a little blower motor to circulate air would draw very little current on a bank of lead acid batteries.
That’s a useful option to consider if there is even a reason to.

In an effort to stay on message with -Show us your ET (electric train)- I’ll share a partial diagram of our Lima Switcher as my
contribution to this thread. I have always wanted a more detailed diagram of the engine showing all of the actual connections
and have yet to complete the cab portion of the electrical schematic. It’s a challenge to stay up-to-date with everything related
to a railroad at times. This particular drawing in the hands of any savvy electrical person provides a trail to follow instead of
having to dig and trace a problem when electrical issues occur.
Someone has noted, “Where’s the electronics?” Well, there is no electronics. It’s pretty much a very simple Zero or One and that’s it.

It’s purposely drawn on paper because I don’t want anyone to have to rely on electricity to read it.

Keep up the passionate work folks. It is fun to look in once in the while to see what’s going on.

John
Attachments
Lima Switcher Chassie Electrical.jpg
Hero

Post by Hero »

Just saw this thread.

Here are my matched 7.25" gauge steeplecab locomotives, driven by four 12v automotive batteries powering salvaged 12/24v tape drive motors.

https://youtu.be/kbLaHU6M_xY

IMG_20210611_144352.jpg
Maybe someone will like them. I do....
Erskine Tramway

Post by Erskine Tramway »

I just noticed this thread too. Here's 'Sparky', my 7-1/2" gauge tram loco. He's built on a Ride Trains 'Mini Motor Car'' chassis, with a wooden body. One 24 volt motor and two Interstate batteries with chain drive to both axles. Speed control is by a Syren50 controller, with manual control. I charge the batteries with a dual output battery conditioner.

Sparky has a bicycle clasp brake on one wheel, with a Range Rover emergency brake ratchet handle.

Mike
Attachments
8-27-18 first coat roof paint.jpg
8-30-18 finished.jpg
8-30-18 from above.jpg
Former Locomotive Engineer and Designer, Sandley Light Railway Equipment Works, Inc. and Riverside & Great Northern Railway 1962-77
BN RR Locomotive Engineer 1977-2014, Retired
Hero

Post by Hero »

"Sparky" is a real dandy. Is that track a home track or a club track?
Erskine Tramway

Post by Erskine Tramway »

Hero wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 5:48 pm "Sparky" is a real dandy. Is that track a home track or a club track?
That's my home railroad, the Erskine Tramway. It's 845 feet long, out across the pasture.

Your steeple cabs are very nice too.

Mike
Attachments
11-19-19 first train.jpg
Former Locomotive Engineer and Designer, Sandley Light Railway Equipment Works, Inc. and Riverside & Great Northern Railway 1962-77
BN RR Locomotive Engineer 1977-2014, Retired
Atkinson_Railroad

Post by Atkinson_Railroad »

Electric trains come to life with lights. Love the lights!

Before LED's, an earlier improvement I most appreciated were the MR-size halogen lamps that became available. (late '80s?)
These lamps provided genuine results from older flashlight reflector arrangements that never really did a very good job
lighting up the right-of-way in front of the engine.

Service record written on underside of the locomotive hood shows the first MR lamp retro-fit was installed on May 9, 1992.
The lamp required replacement on 4-26-2013.

In recalling the lamp failure, I seem to remember the bulb did not fail electrically,
the lamp's structure or housing if you will began "parting" or falling apart.

The number boards and ground lights shown in the cold frosty morning photo are illuminated with traditional 28-volt incandescent miniature lamps