A new track in Maine

This forum is dedicated to Riding Scale Railroading with propulsion using other than steam (Hydraulics, diesel engines, gas engines, electric motors, hybrid etc.)

Moderator: Harold_V

OddDuck

Re: A new track in Maine

Post by OddDuck »

Mike, that's kinda what I was thinking. You really don't need anything more than something to keep rock off the track just in front of the wheels, I'm going to come up with some kind of plow that will hang off the rear axle and be removable for regular running. One nice thing about this hopper is capacity, I think it will hold as much if not more than my wheelbarrow. The trucks seemed to handle the weight fine.
"If you took the bones out they wouldn't be crunchy!" -Monty Python's Flying Circus
FKreider

Post by FKreider »

Bill Shields wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 8:55 am esp since no blind drivers.

there are areas at PLS and PVLS where I cannot go....
I am hearing that there is talk of widening the curves on the PVLS "valley line" so that the larger engines are able to run down there.
-Frank K.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

I am generally OK on the main line even out in the valley....there are turnouts and 'not very often used' sections where...down in the dirt.
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
PRR5406

Post by PRR5406 »

Across the river from Pete's Odd Duck line, we're building the "Winterport Gravel, Granite and Lumber Railroad". Essentially just big loop, but it's also 7 3/8" gauge, but 40 ft. radius. I do have 6 acres of field which I'd love to have some serious builders turn into a Maine live steam/Diesel destination.
"Always stopping my train, and risking my ankles, with American made, New Balance sneakers."
OddDuck

Post by OddDuck »

We'll get that loop connected this year, no prob. so that way there will be two!
"If you took the bones out they wouldn't be crunchy!" -Monty Python's Flying Circus
OddDuck

Post by OddDuck »

Installed the two switch stands for the turnouts the other day, still need to figure out a few things with them, but they do the job.
Attachments
IMG_20210515_100850932~2.jpg
OddDuck

Post by OddDuck »

The anti-derail plow has been built, tested, modified, retested, re-modified, and is in the process of being re-retested in the next few days. Not a total success, but not a total fail either. I have a video, I'll post the link in a few minutes.
Attachments
IMG_20210516_141601311~2.jpg
IMG_20210516_141510552~2.jpg
IMG_20210516_142933994~2.jpg
OddDuck

Post by OddDuck »

Here's the first video from a few weeks ago: https://youtu.be/phP3WpM3ezo
and the video from today: https://youtu.be/hL11o5Jy_Bo
Erskine Tramway

Post by Erskine Tramway »

Looks like a good start.

Mike
Former Locomotive Engineer and Designer, Sandley Light Railway Equipment Works, Inc. and Riverside & Great Northern Railway 1962-77
BN RR Locomotive Engineer 1977-2014, Retired
rkcarguy

Post by rkcarguy »

One thing I've noticed about successful ballast spreaders, is they have the "lips" of the hopper openings quite close to the rails to limit the amount of ballast that can fall out. And, they were made really heavy so it was harder for the car to ride up on the gravel. I think if you extend your hopper openings down closer to the rails the plow will work good and take care of the rest.
kcameron

Post by kcameron »

I agree that the chute has to be very close to the rail to limit the amount of ballast that can pile up. Bill Hayes of Michigan Central has made a number of ballast cars for different layouts. His are adjustable for the height. But once you find the right setting, why change. Also they are adjustable so you can set it for either side dumping or center dump.

What I've found is I seldom use the center dump option. Even with new track it is simple to make a pass leaving the piles on the side and then use the broom to push the right amount between the track.

The key with it is to have the chute acting as a screed to keep the ballast from piling up and interfering with the wheels.
-ken cameron
Syracuse Model Railroad Club http://www.SyracuseModelRr.org/
CNY Modelers http://www.cnymod.com/
Finger Lakes Live Steamers http://www.fingerlakeslivesteamers.org/
Member JMRI Developer Team http://www.jmri.org/
mailto: kcameron@twcny.rr.com
In the Upstate New York US area of the world
OddDuck

Post by OddDuck »

Unfortunately when I built the main body of this thing I didn't really look at anything for reference. I built it "hopper-shaped", and figured out the dump doors with material I had on hand, very much without a welder at the time. So, I'm kinda amazed at how good it works in the first place.
It's possible I could extend one side of the drop doors, it would mean that I can only dump going in one direction, but I can think of worse problems to have. Hmm. Something to think about. Good ideas, guys.