Change of Title?

This forum is dedicated to Riding Scale Railroading with propulsion using other than steam (Hydraulics, diesel engines, gas engines, electric motors, hybrid etc.)

Moderator: Harold_V

Benjamin Maggi

Change of Title?

Post by Benjamin Maggi »

Harold,
Just a thought. I think the new forum is a great idea. However, the title is VERY misleading to me! I would expect to find questions about HO scale trains and plaster scenery and DCC under a heading like this. We all know what it is for (if we have been reading the other forums about this subject) but any newcomer to the traditional "model railroading" hobby who does an internet search for a forum to ask questions on is bound to find us. If that is your intent to all ALL "model railroading" then so be it. Even the term "outdoor model railroading" might include gauge one garden railroading. That also may or may not be your intent.

I would suggest a better/more descriptive title such as "Non-steam engines" or "Diesel Riding Scales" or something along those lines.
"One cannot learn to swim without getting his feet wet." - Benjamin Maggi
- Building: 7.25" gauge "Sweet Pea" named "Catherine"
kapullen

Post by kapullen »

I agree, Large Scale Model Railroading, Or Riding Scale..., or Miniature
Railroading may be more appropiate.

Under that umbrella could be signals, trackwork, cars, and all else not Live Steam.

Many here, and at the clubs are too young to have seen Steam
in regular use.

The only active steam I have seen is tourist lines, and steam specials.
I'm not a young thing, being born in 1951.

Diesels, and Electrics go by all day, every day.

Kap
Fadal Turn, Fadal Vmc 15, Prototrak 16 x 30 Cnc Lathe, Pratt and Whitney 16 x 54 lathe, Pratt and Whitney Vertical Shaper, G & E 16" Shaper, B & O Electric turret lathe, 36" Doall band saw,
Enco B.P. Clone, Bridgeport CNC Mill, Delta 12" Surface Grinder.
Loco112

title change

Post by Loco112 »

I agree, Large Scale Model Railroading, Or Riding Scale..., or Miniature
Railroading may be more appropiate.
I agree, at least scale or miniature or both, but not model.

Other suggestions; Internal Combustion or Miniature "Other than steam locos"
Bill Wilkins

Post by Bill Wilkins »

I agree with other posters about the title.

Why not Diesel & Electrics.

Now all RR motive power is covered. Diesel, Electric, and Live Steam. Getting the forum started by some good posts & pictures will guide it the right direction. Its already started.

I will frequent both forums having both Electric and Steam engines.

Bill W.
Plum Cove Chassis, freelance body - 2008 - Present
Wabash 569 - Allen Mogul - April 09-Jan 12
Bob Snippe Alco S-4 - Feb 12 - Apr 15
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

I had suggested a title in keeping with your desires, but I had no part in the forum being created, not being an administrator.

I can submit a request to Marty, but his feeling was that the descriptor would address the issues that have been raised. Problem is, it is my opinion that folks don't read them. It's like posting pictures. I have sticky posts that give instructions that must be followed in order to post pictures that are acceptable, but readers still ignore them and post pictures that spread text. My response to them, now, is to delete the link, in the hopes that they learn the hard way and don't repeat the same mistake over and over. Otherwise they add more time to my visits here, trying to keep the board running smoothly. I used to resize the image and post it myself. Can't do that anymore, takes too much of my time, and it's not necessary.

Plain and simple---people don't read what is there to help them----they tend to do as they please.

I'll ask Marty to read your comments.

Harold
Benjamin Maggi

Post by Benjamin Maggi »

Thanks Harold. This has been a busy week for you. Hopefully you can get some R&R AWAY from the computer this weekend!
Dan_M

Post by Dan_M »

Harold - Just want to thank you for putting up with all of this. There are many opinions here and you seem to handle them well. I know many of us appreciate the hard work and time that it takes to keep a smooth running forum. More power to you.

Dan
Benjamin Maggi

Post by Benjamin Maggi »

"Riding Scale Railroading" is a perfect title! Thanks.
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

OK, I am beat on this one, this is progress.

I am satisfied with the riding scale, it works in my mind. A+
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.
Fender

Post by Fender »

Three ATTABOYs to Harold for coming up with such a consensus-building approach ("I Need Opinions") to solving a sticky problem. :wink:
Dan Watson
Chattanooga, TN
Trainman4602

Post by Trainman4602 »

Riding Scale Railroading

You mean Steam too right. It don't make any sense to me. It supposed to be a diesel and electric forum. Shouldn't that be in the title?
ALLWAYS OPERATING MY TRAIN IN A SAFE MANNER USING AUTOMATIC AIR BRAKES
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Trainman4602 wrote:Riding Scale Railroading

You mean Steam too right. It don't make any sense to me. It supposed to be a diesel and electric forum. Shouldn't that be in the title?
People with a modicum of wisdom will do two things to make it clear. They will read the comments that accompany the forum title, and they will read the sticky post I made to help them understand the intended use of the forum. In other words, they will have to meet us half way. We can't baby-sit each and every reader, nor do they wish us to do so.

Mean time, I fully expect that there will be occasions when a post is in the wrong forum. No big deal-----it will be moved to the appropriate forum with a trailing notice indicating where the post resides.

Try to make this work, Dave. If, in the course of using the forum, you find it presents a problem or two, we'll address them as required. None of us are able to dedicate the kind of time to this thing that would insure that there are no loose ends. Do remember---all of us donate our time in order to serve you folks. When you can't find happiness with our efforts, maybe we should consider not doing anything. You might notice things don't work so well that way.

Harold