The aftermath from the runaway.

This forum is dedicated to Riding Scale Railroading with propulsion using other than steam (Hydraulics, diesel engines, gas engines, electric motors, hybrid etc.)

Moderator: Harold_V

Pennsy fan

The aftermath from the runaway.

Post by Pennsy fan »

This is what was left, but after talking to Lloyd Davis he is rebuilding the train.
Attachments
loyd.jpg
loyd2.jpg
Bill Shields

Questions

Post by Bill Shields »

If it isn't too painful, can someone please explain what this is all about?

There was a runaway out here on the east coast also a while back, and I am wondering if there is something that perhaps should be considered in the way of safety systems to prevent such from happening again.

I am beginning to be more concerned about runaway non-steamers more than I am being worried about boiler failures.
Benjamin Maggi

Post by Benjamin Maggi »

It is the continuation of a post on the Live Steam section, titled "Off Topic - Electric Porter Locomotive.

Here is the link to that thread:
http://www.chaski.org/homemachinist/vie ... hp?t=82289
"One cannot learn to swim without getting his feet wet." - Benjamin Maggi
- Building: 7.25" gauge "Sweet Pea" named "Catherine"
kapullen

Post by kapullen »

I was at New Jersey Live steamers years ago (about 20 years)
and saw the aftermath of a Runaway.

An 1.5 Atlantic, if memory served me right, backed it'self off a transfer track to where the transfer table should have been.

The loco ended up on it's flipped over tender like it was supposed to be there.

The draw bar was bent in a U.

Later heard it had a leaky valve or something.

Also saw a 1" scale American go thru the high line switch set the wrong way.

Good thing the pilot was cast and didn't appear damaged.

One guy at Cals had a Carlson Little Gasser hit at speed by an Atlantic, double heading with a Pacifac.

The second engineer had his eye's on the first one's butt I suspect.
Jack's daughter was a cute young lady. Don't know where her eye's were.

The gassed owner stopped on the main line to load the gasser in his car.

There were just pieces of cast aluminum scattered around the impact area.

Sorry two of those were O/T.

Kap
Fender

Post by Fender »

Is that an ACETYLENE bottle laying on top of the engine, or am I misreading what's there? :shock:
Dan Watson
Chattanooga, TN
Oilcan

Post by Oilcan »

Dan:
Maybe it started life as an acytelene tank, but I think it was revised into a steam dome. From the odd angle of the photo in the link on the other post, the vague outline can be made out in the cab shadows. Could be wrong...

Still, the sight of the wreck has to bring alligator tears to the builder's eyes. Seeing the aftermath of the wreck, I really want (need) to put in a deadman's switch on my electric speeder.

Neil
Editor Emeritus - Live Steam & Outdoor Railroading
Allen Mogul under construction
Electric RS3
Stationary Steam
Bill Shields

Dead Man Switch

Post by Bill Shields »

You and everyone else should feel the need.

The world seems to be worried about boiler explosions, but I have now seen 2 runaways of ic / electrics - this and one other where a unit literally took off by itself around the club track at a high rate of speed.

Quick reacting club members had thrown a switch to reroute the unit into the steaming bays and down into the turntable pit BEFORE it got to the station and rear-ended someone.

FORTUNATELY, the unit derailed on a curve and came to a stop before it had to take a 'swan dive', probably to it's total destruction.

With electronic control systems, it is entriely plausable that a broken wire or minor low-voltage short can cause a many 100 # loco to zoom off on it's own.
mattmason

Post by mattmason »

-IF- I am right (and often I am not as my wife reminds me of often), the tank was for compressed air for the air whistle. Not sure if it was for the brakes as well or not.
Matt Mason
BobbyT

Re: Dead Man Switch

Post by BobbyT »

Bill Shields wrote:but I have now seen 2 runaways of ic / electrics - this and one other where a unit literally took off by itself around the club track at a high rate of speed.
I was involved in two separate run-away incidents. The first was many years ago at a park here in South Florida. I was running a train load of guests for the annual Christmas Light Train, when I developed an issue, so I stopped near the engine maintanence area. We ran E&S lines diesels (gas / hyd.). What I did not know is the mechanic had another engine idling in the yard. He left it running to come see what I needed. In a split second the idling engine took off and slammed the rear end of my full and stopped train.

The 2nd incident taught me the importance of good safety chains. I had built a critter for my son which used a cable control off a lawn mower for a throttle control. (gas/centrifical clutch). we derailed the gon we were riding which caused the car to uncouple from the engine. This pulled the controller out of my sons hand and the little engine took off without us. I had to chase it down and literally tackle the critter.

Because of this experience I have safety chains on all my equipment and it is always in use. And I always keep a weathered eye on any unattendended equipment left running. It only takes a split second for something to go wrong.
cbrew

Re: Dead Man Switch

Post by cbrew »

BobbyT wrote: The 2nd incident taught me the importance of good safety chains. I had built a critter for my son which used a cable control off a lawn mower for a throttle control. (gas/centrifical clutch). we derailed the gon we were riding which caused the car to uncouple from the engine. This pulled the controller out of my sons hand and the little engine took off without us. I had to chase it down and literally tackle the critter.

Because of this experience I have safety chains on all my equipmet and it is always in use. And I always keep a weathered eye on any unattendended equipment left running. It only takes a split second for something to go wrong.
Hi BobbyT,
I would think about using a drawbar between the engine and engineers car along with chains, Chains are not foolproof.
just something to think about
chris
If it is not live steam. its not worth it.
Pennsy fan

tank

Post by Pennsy fan »

I see what your looking at, but no it's just dummy steam dome.

The air tank is under that, for the use of the brakes and the wezzle.

Also he did say the controller had to be reprogrammed as the knob only had a 1/4 turn to full on. Something he hadn't got to yet. He also said he tried to grab the train and filp to over to get off the track, but it was toooooo fast.

d.
mattmason

Re: tank

Post by mattmason »

Pennsy fan wrote:I see what your looking at, but no it's just dummy steam dome.
I told you my wife tells me I'm wrong all the time. This just proves it! ;-)

Now only if I could be one of those all-knowing politicians......
Matt Mason