3/4" scale F-3 fiberglass shells update

This forum is dedicated to Riding Scale Railroading with propulsion using other than steam (Hydraulics, diesel engines, gas engines, electric motors, hybrid etc.)

Moderator: Harold_V

JohnHudak

3/4" scale F-3 fiberglass shells update

Post by JohnHudak »

Finally, after one year of building the master model, then pouring the rubber molds, and fiberglassing, I have my F-3 Shells!!!
Here's a pic of the molds (with a coat of gel-coat in them) and one finished shell... The smaller mold on the right is the fuel tank. The front apron was already finished, and was my test piece for all the molding/fiberglassing operations.
If anyone is coming to the NEOLS 40th anniversary meet this weekend, I'll have the shells there to show...
John
Attachments
miscF-3 029.jpg
cbrew

Post by cbrew »

it looks good in the pic.. great job!
If it is not live steam. its not worth it.
rangerjoel

Post by rangerjoel »

Very nice work. Keep those photos coming! :lol:
“Do something even if it is wrong”
Marty Walkenfuss
Benjamin Maggi

Post by Benjamin Maggi »

That is mighty impressive. Can you describe the process you used to create your fiberglass shell? I am not very familiar with this technique but it sounds interesting.
"One cannot learn to swim without getting his feet wet." - Benjamin Maggi
- Building: 7.25" gauge "Sweet Pea" named "Catherine"
JohnHudak

Post by JohnHudak »

Thanks Ben, Everything starts out with an exact size model of what you want to reproduce.... In my case an F-3. The first thing I had to do was make a 3D cad drawing of the nose section, this was all I was concerned about since the rest of the body is basically straight. My friend Andy did the computer designing for me, and we cut the nose on his 3 axis cnc router. Here's a youtube link to the nose being cut...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZC8v0UnWdM
I made my model from wood, mostly mahogany, as it is so nice to work with. You can also see lots of bondo on the model as well....
Here's a pic of the wooden model after I cut the flat on the roof for the fans. The brass "rivet" strips still need to be applied.....
After the model is finished I need to build a wooden box to hold the master model, then pour rubber around the model. This model needed 4 gallons of silicone rubber. (at $100.00 per gallon!)
Once the rubber cures overnight, you need to "dissassemble" (it was screwed together) the wooden box and remove the master. Leaving the female impression of the F-3 in rubber. Once all that is done, all I did was paint two coats of gel-coat onto the rubber surface, let them dry, and start applying layers of fiberglass cloth, I put 4 coats of glass on the shell you see in the other photo...
It's a long messy operation, and the wife had to put the last three coats of glass on for me, as it needs to dry between coats, and I needed to get to my real job..... I (she) will be making a few extra shells, as a few people have expressed interest in some of them....
I have the pattern for the Blomberg trucks at the foundry, and hopefully soon I'll have some truck frame castings.....
I'd like to have a finished set of A-A's ready to show at the Cabin Fever show next year.......
John
Attachments
miscF-3 008.jpg
Benjamin Maggi

Post by Benjamin Maggi »

Thanks for the reply. I know it might be stupid, but do you have any pictures of the shells with something like a soda can or quarter or anything that I could use to judge their size? I can picture #1 scale F units, and 1.5" scale F units, but am having trouble estimating a 3/4" scale engine. Thanks.
JohnHudak

Post by JohnHudak »

Hi Ben, Not a stupid question at all... The shells are 37" long, and about 7 1/2" wide and 7 1/2" tall... Here's a pic with a pop can.
John
Attachments
miscF-3 030.jpg
Benjamin Maggi

Post by Benjamin Maggi »

Thanks John. I don't think I have ever seen a 3/4" scale diesel-outline engine before. Only steamers.
JohnHudak

Post by JohnHudak »

Benjamin Maggi wrote:Thanks John. I don't think I have ever seen a 3/4" scale diesel-outline engine before. Only steamers.
Ben, That's why I did this, They're weren't any available....
John
Andypullen

Post by Andypullen »

Beautiful work, as usual, John....Can't wait to see one in person.

You ought to post the link to the shopbot carving out the nose sections....My coworkers really liked that....

Andy Pullen
Clausing 10x24, Sheldon 12" shaper, ProtoTrak AGE-2 control cnc on a BP clone, Reed Prentice 14" x 30", Sanford MG 610 surface grinder, Kalamazoo 610 bandsaw, Hardinge HSL speed lathe, Hardinge HC chucker, Kearney and Trecker #2K plain horizontal mill, Haas TL-1 lathe.
Curtis_F

Post by Curtis_F »

JohnHudak wrote:
Benjamin Maggi wrote:Thanks John. I don't think I have ever seen a 3/4" scale diesel-outline engine before. Only steamers.
John
And in ten years time when all the highlines of the world are congested with diesel-outline engines we can look back and say, "It's John Hudak's fault. He built the first one." ;) :lol:
25+ Years of SolidWorks experience...now I feel old.
"You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink."
"Winning an argument on the internet is like winning the Special Olympics."
www.facebook.com/HillcrestShops
JohnHudak

Post by JohnHudak »

Curtis_F wrote:
JohnHudak wrote:
John
And in ten years time when all the highlines of the world are congested with diesel-outline engines we can look back and say, "It's John Hudak's fault. He built the first one." ;) :lol:

Cool, I can live with that :P
John